Peterborough Winter Slalom 2!  17 December - As seen on Octopussy

Discuss past and future events
Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:17 am

Yes folks its <ADVERT> time again.

If you were watching Octopussy recently, a character was thrown over a weir at night - that was the weir at Proteus. Looks rough and tough, but that was the lighting!

For the November event the weir was running high and fast - some HPP club members described it as 'bigger than the muncher' BUT that has been unusual for the Autumn, We had four weeks of little front wave (about 1 foot) before that weekend. The weir is playing fair again now, with a gentle wave at the front. Just right for a winter slalom. The BIG waves are supposed to be there in the New Year.

I will come back later with more weir news, but for now:

* remember when slalom used to be social as well as competitive - we do.
* or do you want to try slalom in a relaxed atmosphere - that's one of our aims.
* Want to try something else? We lend boats out so you can try a slalom kayak, or C1 or C2 - my C2 tends to learn it's way round the course!
* want to rub shoulders with British Team members, and/or Prem paddlers we get them turning up and talking to all and sundry (thanks guys/gals), then showing us how to do the course
* best run wins, so the same rules as div 1-4
* Normal rules - except if you fall in you can have a hot drink! If you were unlucky enough to take an 'early bath' last time, and did not take your hot drink, please come back and convince us, you can have the drink this time.

After the supurb entry last time, we will be closing entries at 10:15 with the aim of starting the event at 11am

This is one of those few chances you get to try to work out just who CP is, it is one of the Proteus Paddlers, but who? Most either paddle or have paddled Canadian - which one is teh money grabbing publicist? Do you care, we dont, just come along give us your money, and have a good time! :D
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Dee

Post by Dee » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:27 pm

Do you really think your identity is still a secret?!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Fairweather Paddler

Post by Fairweather Paddler » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:46 am

Canadian PAddler wrote:* remember when slalom used to be social as well as competitive - we do.

Yes I do :)

And it was the first thing I noticed was there at your November event. :p

What a shame it's not seen at the ranking events :angry:

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:35 am

Well the weir is VERY playful at the moment - both the normal side AND the middle sluice are running high, giving decent waves across 2/3 of the river! Great fun, but a bit hairy at night.

Not what we want for the winter slalom, but there is a way to go yet. Good news that they are running everything off as it means fun in the mean time (or wimping) and there should not be so much around for the event on 17 December :D
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:54 am

Canadian PAddler wrote:Good news that they are running everything off as it means fun in the mean time (or wimping) and there should not be so much around for the event on 17 December :D
I hope they don't run it all off and they save some for all day on the 17th :;):

May have to bottle some up for reserve :p
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:35 am

Not much danger of it all being run off at the moment, still wet round here.

Was at the weir last night, and it was a flat boil. Hopefully enough will run through to allow us to have a wave for the weekend after next.

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:38 pm

How's the weir looking now?
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:20 am

Last night it was BIG, BOUNCY and FUN (apparently). Lets hope it gets smaller for the weekend.

BUT the course is being designed with teh big waves in mind, so it will be easier for beginners, and leave the top wave free for any volunteer safety boats.

Course erection from 10am on Saturday, all welcome to help, then free practice from end of erection.

Aiming to start at 11 on Sunday to allow for (hopefully) another large entry, and short daylight.

Got to buy some prizes today, different pictures on the certificates, and Mandy is planning ot be making sponge cakes on Saturday. . . How can you resist? ???

See you all there. :)

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:23 pm

Well the course is up, the canteen food has been bought, all we need is some paddlers!!

The water seems to be behaving (famous last words). And the course is of a suitable standard. SO come along, have a chat, have a burger, have a paddle. :p

As normal we will lend you all sorts of boats, my C1 and C2 will be doing tours of the course.

Be there or forever regret it.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:05 pm

Why is anything happening this weekend CP?????

Don't worry we will be there in the morning, bacon butties at the ready please :D

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:07 pm

Thanks to all who turned up today. :D

I am afraid that I am a bit weary so results will not go up until tomorrow.

Hope you had a good time and all have a Merry Christmas.

See you next year, either at ranking events (such as ours in May and July), or before that at Stone (21 Jan 2007, 04 Feb 2007, 25 Feb 2007) :cool:

Fairweather Paddler

Post by Fairweather Paddler » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:18 pm

Many thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make today a good event.

We thoroughly enjoyed it. :p

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:27 pm

Fairweather Paddler wrote:Many thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make today a good event.

We thoroughly enjoyed it. :p
Here Here

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:51 am

A great day.
And thanks to the fact that Proteus give out *loads* of prizes, you can paddle rubbishly, come last and still get a wine glass. No wine in it sadly, just sweets!

Carlr

Post by Carlr » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:17 pm

Another excellent slalom with good water, thanks to all at Proteus canoe club who put on another good day. We even had time to have a good play on the top wave after the event. Well done to all that participated even the swimmers.