Washburn Events

Discuss past and future events
Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:20 am

With all the current rain does anyone know if the events scheduled for Washburn next month are going ahead as the last weekend cruise was cancelled as the two bottom resovoirs were full and they could not release?
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

mole

Post by mole » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:54 am

esther hasn't said anything about them being cancelled.. the only problem is that her van has brocken down so transport is hard
moly boy who cant spel

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:56 pm

Cheers Mole

I think that Esther's van is now fixed and raring to go which is good new's :D

With more rain due to fall this weekend lets hope the resovoirs can be emptied a bit to allow for the release, makes a change to have too much water though!

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:02 am

Great to hear that the event is running, well done to Yorkshire Water for making sure it goes ahead.

Usually this time of year we suffer from lack of water for events, so what a refreshing change :D

katonas

Post by katonas » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:20 pm

Anyone know if there will be a chance to practice tomorrow (Fri) ?

David Hepworth

Post by David Hepworth » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:30 pm

I wouldn't have thought so as the dam releases tend only to be on the days of the events.

katonas

Post by katonas » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:34 pm

Presumably they'll have to set the pole heights on Saturday when the water is switched on. It must be hard to place gates without full flow.

katonas

Post by katonas » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:57 am

Many thanks to Esther and all the other organisers for an amazing event. To provide boats for freestyle and WWR was amazing. The course really improved my skills (oh no, not another 50 ;) ) . We need more courses like this with merano's / options for ferrying backwards. The downstream in the eddy behind the forked tree did defeat me though (too many yrs being afraid of trees I guess). :D

katonas

Post by katonas » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:02 pm

66-1146487544

Post by 66-1146487544 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:27 am

I have been informed that the A59 is closed all this week up until and including Sunday 22nd on the last stretch of road to the west of the turn off to the Washburn slalom, i.e. all those approaching the site from the Skipton direction.

There may be diversions in place all the way back at Bolton's Abbey, for those travelling all the way through to Harrogate and beyond, but the only bit of road actually closed appears to be the descent from the top of the moors down to the bridge over the Washburn.

You should therefore be able to approach the entrance to the slalom site from the Skipton side by staying on the A59 till just before the road drops down the far side of the moors where there is a minor road off to the left (Kex Gill Road) that takes you round to Thruscross reservoir from where you can turn right (Hall Lane) and drop down the hill and approach the entrance to the slalom site from the opposite direction to which you are probably used to.

For those approaching from the Harrogate side, you may hit road closed signs at the junction just before the slalom turn off (Hardisty Hill) but I would expect that you can ignore these and still carry on to the junction just beyond as usual as though you were local traffic.

The following Google map hopefully shows the minor roads in the area but for those of you who are not local to the North then it might not be a great deal of help -
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl....&tab=il

If someone from the Yorkshire Region could confirm this information for me as details of exactly where the road is closed from/to is a bit sketchy on the web.

66-1146487544

Post by 66-1146487544 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:17 pm

Update on the last post.

It would now appear that as well as the road closure on the A59 between Kex Gill Road and Hardisty Hill from 16th to 22nd July, there is also re-surfacing work being undertaken at the junction with Beamsley Lane which is just after the roundabout at Bolton Abbey. This work runs from the 16th to 26th July and requires a daytime lane closure and a complete closure overnight between the hours of 19:00 to 06:00. Anyone travelling each day from the Skipton direction will have to allow for delays and also make certain they have left the slalom each day by 6pm at the latest.

The following link has a map which details both roadworks -
http://www.virginradio.co.uk/news...._of_map

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:03 pm

Further update(s)

1) The work at Kex Gill did not start on time - so no closures yet. They will decide on Sunday whether to start: if they do, then the Kex Gill stretch will be shut both ways from 1800; so anyone leaving the Washburn after 1800 and wanting to go West will have to turn right out of theg ate, go up to the dam, and then turn left to rejoin the A59 at the top of Kex Gill hill (where it is signposted West End)

2) Confirmation the the work at Beamsley has started; however they are not working weekends. As long as you reach Bolton Abbey before 1800 on Friday night you will be able to get through; and it won't be shut on Saturday night.

3) In the case of Beamsley Hill when it is 'open' there will be light-controlled one-way-at-a-time traffic flow, so allow extra time.

4) If you are trying to get through when it is closed, particularly if towing a caravan, trailer etc, my advice is go via Otley and up to Blubberhouses rather than trying to go via Grassington on very narrow twisty roads (c. 30 mins longer)

After a frustrating and expensive time on the 'phone I eventually got this from the fellow who runs the NYCC Highways District Office in Skipton - so it should be kosher. However I am not offering any guarantees ...

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:07 pm

Thanks for making the effort John - not always easy dealing with officials.

I confess to being confused though as none of the place names mean much to me. I get the impression that we should be OK if we are approaching the site from Harrogate - is this true to your knowledge?

Dee
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:51 am

Yes - I don't know of anything East of Blubberhouses - the two sites mentioned are both between Skipton and Blubberhouses

Alison

Post by Alison » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:05 pm

What was the course like at the weekend?

Having got trapped in work by the flooding in Gloucester on Friday night there was no way we were fighting our way up the M5 on Saturday with everybody who was spent the night on the road.

Ali and Ang