HPP selection race - Thanks

Discuss past and future events
Anne

Post by Anne » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:52 am

Just want to say a huge thanks to everyone involved in the selection race at HPP yesterdat. Conditions were not easy, weather and IT.

The timing team were magnificent and were realy sorry the first runs results were so slow coming out so thanks to them for working so hard, thanks to all those judging and on start & finish, out in the bitter wind, it can't have been easy.

Most of all though I want to thank the competitors for their patience and understanding, you were all great.

Congrats to Campbell, Fiona and David who wone selection of their respective class and will be nominated for the Olympics. also congrats to Tim & Etienne - just need that boat place now - we know you can do it. Well done to those who made the GB teams, senior, U23 & junior.

Comiserations to those who just didn't quite make it - the racing over the 3 races was really close, it's great to know we have so much talent and such a shame that this cannot be recognised at the Olympics with more paddlers being able to take part.

Anne

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:38 pm

Well said Anne. I think the wind was only a few mph less than when an event was cancelled there in 2004! And actually, the rowing that was scheduled to take place next door was cancelled. Those were truly horrible conditions to compete in but everyone knuckled down and got on with the job regardless.

I attended only to spectate, particularly to support Tim & Etienne, and I really enjoyed the racing in all classes. A great event under difficult circumstances. Well done one and all.
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:20 pm

I have now uploaded some pics from the event to Picasa. Feel free to download any you like :-)

http://picasaweb.google.com/peteraparker/HPPSelection

Enjoy!

:-)

katonas

Post by katonas » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:02 pm

Thanks Spiderman for the photos. A stroke of genius to include the results. After trying to paddle the course on Friday it was interesting to see the gate combinations that were set. I don't like the look of the upstream river left above the office...how are you supposed to approach that one ...?

katonas

Post by katonas » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:20 am

Just found BCU link

Did it really come down to just 0.49 seconds to decide who paddled at the Olympics ?!

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:31 am

Glad you enjoyed the pics Katonas :-) Thanks for the feedback.

The left up above the office (12) was mostly taken after ferry gliding into the eddy after taking the previous downstream stagger (10 & 11) with a spin rather than straight. I noticed that a few paddlers made the stagger straight with no spin but due to that move being against the flow through 11, I do not personally think it was a good idea. The only issue with ferry gliding into the eddy was the parallel hit on the entry wave that unbalanced one or two but if you could get the bow to hit it first it made for a fairly straightforward breakout. Many did fall low on it so it was important to leave 11 as high as possible to stay high on the breakout too.

Did it come down to just 0.49 seconds for selection? In time difference maybe but in reality I think Mr H needed to win or similar to get a place and with all Mr W's experience on HPP I could not see that happening really. But having said this, I am not sure what took his eye off the ball on approach to gate 14 in the middle of the office but he was unable to fix the problem causing him to miss it. It seems his bow, even angled left over the drop, was spat out of the stopper a shade early and there was no way to counter it. So even with that wealth of ability and experience, it can still go wrong in a heartbeat. Fortunately not very often when it really counts! Let us just hope that when it comes to infrequent misfortune on the big day, it is the turn of one or two Frenchies, Czechs & Slovaks! I can think of one or two who are overdue for it!

Anne

Post by Anne » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:32 am

The Olympic place was won by Campbell by the 2 bonus points gained for winning a medal and the boat place at the Worlds last year. Both he and Rich had a 1st and a 2nd but those bonus points were what clinched it for him. Not sure how close the other classes were!

Rich did the move you are talking about forward with no spin, hence his 4 sec lead after first runs and after 2nd runs winning by 3 secs even with a tounch - much quicker lines!

katonas

Post by katonas » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:19 pm

Please tell me Jim Jayes braved the wind to produce another epic masterpiece of filming, and is at this very moment editing/polishing/composing...

PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:33 pm

I must admit, when I saw Mr W miss the gate and have a long upstream paddle back for it, my first thoughts were "oh my God, he's blown it", especially as he didn't seem to paddle the rest of the course with much urgency. There was a tangible atmosphere of shock amongst the spectators as he had looked "on rails" up to them. It must be his "bogey" drop because I recall him going back for a gate in the same spot last year.

Such a shame only one boat per class is allowed. I think there are several of our top paddlers that could do us proud. Many congrats to all who made it and, for those that didn't, us lesser mortals are massively impressed by your efforts and hugely respect your commitment.

katonas

Post by katonas » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:55 pm

PaulBolton wrote:us lesser mortals are massively impressed by your efforts and hugely respect your commitment.
I could not agree more.
I also think you must be able to walk on water. Certainly your boats seem at times to glide above the water, whereas mine seems to dredge mud off the bottom...

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:59 am

I do not know if JJ did any vidz but PP did! :-) So far I have uploaded Tim & Etienne's 1st run here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGylHFUY_10

I thought as it was a classic performance I would add so classic soundtrack. Some bloke called Vivaldi.....

Enjoy!

PP

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:28 am

Is the Div 1/2 at HPP that difficult? I thought I would give it a go IF I manage to get down HPP upright this weekend but seeing that video has made me think twice.

Well done to everyone :-)

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:22 pm

the 1/2 will be much easier!

THe river won't be any different, but the course will be easier, especially on the Saturday. The Div 1 will haev to be a bit more chanllenging, but still shouldn't be as tricky as the selection race.

Even if you don't do too well, it'll be a good experience and give you more confidence for the smaller events!

Nicky

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:55 pm

Nicky wrote:the 1/2 will be much easier!

Even if you don't do too well, it'll be a good experience and give you more confidence for the smaller events!
Thanks - that is what I am relying on!

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:32 am

Tim & Etienne's 2nd run is up now:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gur3QUyifYs

:-)