Tees

Discuss past and future events
Nicky

Post by Nicky » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:55 pm

I heard that today too!

Ah well, it's staying at Abbey now. It'll be nice to have a prem on a different bit of river for a change, but it'd have been much easier if it could have been at the barrage (for me mainly!)

But yeah, thanks for the entries to date, they are proper flooding in and the start list is filling up a treat!

Nicky

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi all

The entries are flooding in and at the moment we have enough Judges for Saturday (the Prem race), as such any more entries will go on a waiting list in case anyone pulls out (two have already...) We do however have plenty of space left for competitors, so get your entries in!

If any of the div 1 paddlers want to race on the course on Saturday there is always the good old fashioned team event that we're running on Saturday afternoon.

Nicky

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Hi Nicky. Ye olde team event on Saturday eh? I was only saying at the Interclubs event how we all used to depend upon our single practice run and both team runs on the Saturday to help tackle the individual runs on the Sunday. We used to paddle with virtually anyone to make sure we got those two extra runs in. A little different here I suppose as the course will doubtless change but familiarising yourself with new water is bound to be a bonus. I am not sure how many paddlers travel far enough to events to stay over both days (with Prems typically on saturday and Div 1's on Sundays). But if there are enough I reckon it would be both a good idea and also enticing to Div 1's to travel up a day ahead and take part in team runs again. The well organised team runs at Interclubs were great to watch (so were the less well organised for other reasons of course!!) and I think it would really add to the weekend. Most paddlers used to race with regular team members (I really need to upload a lot more of those 1970's results sheets sometime!) but even if you did not have regular team mates you could always enter a "scratch" team...usually with a creative name! :-) Are you running a team event for Premsters as well? I doubt it but as all internationals feature this class, it would be a welcome re-introduction to Prem Races. It should also bring a few more quids into the coffers of the organising Clubs too. I am assuming this is an enter on the day thing?

Anyone wanna paddle team with me? I ran an 88 with just one touch (dammit) at Interclubs so if any Div 1's wish to hook up with me of similar ability, lets get together and see if we can win some silverware!

Big up to you Nicky for sorting that. Nice one :-) Oh! Erm...pls save me a place on Sunday ok....must get that entry sorted :-)

PP
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

dsamartin

Post by dsamartin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:10 pm

I would like to highlight that I am still receiving entries for this event despite various postings advising that the event was cancelled--Prem race 8/div 1 is now to be held at Abbey Rapids and hosted by Tees Tigers, the entries are incorrect and the cheques made payable to the wrong club so there is no point in me passing them to Nicky-can you PLEASE send your entries to nicky.cresser@hotmail.co.uk
as per information on website!!
Cheers
Sue

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:45 pm

I just tried getting accommodation in Barnard Castle (thats the town adjacent the event not the actual castle itself!) and its chockablock. I found a room here:-

Ancient Unicorn Inn
Bowes
Barnard Castle
County Durham
DL12 9HL

Telephone: 01833 628321
Email: ancient.unicorn@virgin.net

and this is about five miles west of the course.

The reason I am posting this is to say they have a couple more rooms available so if you are looking for somewhere to stay, don't hang around. The double room/ensuite/TV etc etc with breakfast that I just booked is £30 per head.

Hope this helps.

PP
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:17 am

Quick reminder!

I'll be at HPP this weekend and accepting entries. Any received after the weekend will be subject to late entry fee.

The team event will be a fairly relaxed affair and we'll be taking entries on the day (although we've got 3 in already, each with a brilliant name!)

With regard to B&Bs, if you're struggling to find anything in Barnard Castle, there are lots of small towns around and about that will have B&Bs, or if all else fails, Darlington is around half an hour away and there are plenty of places to stay there...

See you at the weekend

Nicky

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:46 pm

Yo!

Just a quick one!

There have been loads of people asking over the last week or so about how likely the race at the weekend is going to be cancelled due to lack of water.

The simple answer is no chance. The Tees has loads in at the moment and Abbey Rapids can be raced at even really low levels.

Water is not an issue, but as an indication, i hope it stays the same as today which was mint!

There's still time to get your entries in and don't forget the team event. You can't beat a team run!

Nicky

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:22 pm

Warning for those heading from the south, the A1M is completely closed (in both directions) between St Neots and the A14. Not sure how big the diversion will be (does anyone know?). If it is a horrible diversion I guess we are on to the M1 :-(

Dadstaxi

Post by Dadstaxi » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:26 am

.... and the M6 has got roadworks 10-13, 22-23, 32-33, 34-35 & 37-38!!! AND I think all have average speed cameras :(

RussJohnson

Post by RussJohnson » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:19 am

just a further addition to the pain of the A1m...

the motorway is undergoing expansion to 3 lanes after the A19 and Leeming. this goes up to the junction a Catterick which is 2 or 3 junctions before the Abbey Rapids turning.

there isnt a convenient way of avoiding this either as its after the A1 & M1 meet.
Russell Johnson
HALIFAX Canoe Club - West Yorkshire Canoe Club

FatBoy

Post by FatBoy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:48 pm

Dadstaxi wrote:.... and the M6 has got roadworks 10-13, 22-23, 32-33, 34-35 & 37-38!!! AND I think all have average speed cameras :(

You missed out 39-40! (with average speed cameras)

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:57 pm

FatBoy wrote:
Dadstaxi wrote:.... and the M6 has got roadworks 10-13, 22-23, 32-33, 34-35 & 37-38!!! AND I think all have average speed cameras :(

You missed out 39-40! (with average speed cameras)
That's because you come off at 38 if you're going to the Tees :p

FatBoy

Post by FatBoy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:31 pm

Fair point! Although I don't go near any of those other junctions on my way there...