Making double div2 events financially viable

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes: 5

katonas

Post by katonas » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:51 am

Would you be happy to pay two single entry fees to make a double event financially viable when organizers have to pay to hire the course eg.HPP, Cardiff, Lee Valley.
(sorry should be 'double events' rather than 'double div2 events')

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:10 am

Not sure that two singles would make such events viable, just reduce the deficit. Lee Valley Legacy Loop is £200 an hour (I seem to recall), Notts is about £1500 a day, Cardiff about £9K. . . . :(
(unless you know better/more accurately in which case post or let me know and I will correct)
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

katonas

Post by katonas » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:33 am

Thanks for the info CP - I was pretty ignorant of what organisers are being charged. I was just posing a question that may not be of much practical importance if these hires costs don't fall. I had no idea Cardiff's hire cost was so high - presumably to cover lost rafting income (almost making Lee Valley's legacy fee appear generous, but then they have the olympic course to keep the revenue going). HPP hire seems really high given the water is free, but I suppose they are asking for compensation from lost rafting income as well. Just out of interest, how much does Bala white water centre charge per day ?

I suppose if a double does take place eg.Nene then at least the organizers might reduce their losses in this way.

One of the organisers on Sat hoped that sponsorship might enable another Lee Valley legacy slalom. If it remains a div 2/3 the BBC might be persuaded to film with the promise of many swims, and screams... :D Alternatively, someone with a camcorder could probably get quite a few clips to sell to one of ITV's disaster clip programmes (just joking)

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:24 am

The high Cardiff cost is one of the reasons that the Welsh are looking at different slalom patterns fitting round the main rafting time, - such as the Saturday night Sunday morning this year - reduces the hire costs I believe.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:37 am

katonas wrote:One of the organisers on Sat hoped that sponsorship might enable another Lee Valley legacy slalom.
I know I raised the idea of giving Tesco a pop. They are involved anyway, it's in their backyard and they have a history of supporting things like this

Neil Footitt

Post by Neil Footitt » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:49 pm

its a Sainsbury Depot ....

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:15 pm

Spill in Aisle 13

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Pretty sure the BBC wont sponsor anything as it interferes with their advertising neutrality policy - sorry :(

Their input is covering the event and plugging the sport

PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:50 pm

To answer the question - yes I'd happily pay more for a double event vice travelling for 2 singles. Simple economics really given fuel costs.

alldaypaddler

Post by alldaypaddler » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:41 pm

well, i wouldn't be happy, but yes i'd pay for 2 singles.

as for lee valley - before they start doing doubles they need to sort out the 'no wet kit in the building (so how do we get changed exactly?), only people in wet kit are allowed down the hill (everyone else has to cross over the bridge over the olympic course and walk around), nobody allowed through the courtyard entrance to the changing rooms (so no way into the changing rooms...), not allowed to warm up on the lake' rules that seemed to be happening all day.

that got on more than a few people's nerves...

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:04 pm

Lee Valley have asked for feedback, so if you could pm/email me the positive and negative experiances I will collate them. (Colin Woodgate - email address in the year book).
Please keep it clean/concise so that I can get a response to them. Positives and negatives would be good.
There were some 'opportunities' in the event organisation as well, so feel free to add these, so that the Slalom Committee/future organisers can learn. :o

I want to give feedback fairly quickly, so comments by end of tomorrow please.