Serpents Tail cancelled

Discuss past and future events
davebrads

Serpents Tail cancelled

Post by davebrads » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:23 pm

Dear all

It is with great regret that I have to announce the cancellation of the Serpents Tail race on the 26/27th October. Unfortunately we have lost the support of the Chainbridge Hotel, and without this it is not possible for us to run the race.

I am very sorry that it has come to this, I first attended a race at the Serpents Tail in 1981, and I have barely missed a year. Manchester Canoe Club has been running races there for about 40 years.

Dave Bradshaw

Canadian Paddler

Re: Serpents Tail cancelled

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:46 pm

That is a shame. Thanks for your effort Dave.

I suspect that the once full hotel will be emptying rapidly! :wink:
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Sorry to hear Dave, I know you have out a lot of effort into running the event there over recent years (just putting the gates up is a pig!) and into finding alternatives for this year.

Even though I usually end up very cold and wet (having visited the fishies) I have got used to this being the last Div 1 of the season and to my yummy end of season evening dinner at the Corn Mill...

321go

Post by 321go » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Equally gutted that this is cancelled ...but least don't have to scramble down the bank to start.

Now heres' at thought from 'very left field'......... given this was planned as the last 2 x Div 1 races of the season, is there an option of this being moved as a 1 day event to LVWWC to run on the Saturday alongside the Prem?

As I say 'very left field' and I'm not sure what the take-up would be but it may assist in bringing attendance numbers up & given the Sunday plans to run a Div 3 / Open on Legacy this could boost these numbers and be potentially a great end of season event!!

.......now doning flak jacket & hard hat

cheers
P

tomkin

Post by tomkin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:08 pm

A real shame as Serpents Tail is a such a great natural slalom venue.
However I do like the idea of an alternative at LVWWC!

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:46 pm

OH NO!

Why have they pulled support?

marcus

Post by marcus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:38 pm

Can the event be held at Mile End Mill ? Just an idea!

Jerry Tracey

Post by Jerry Tracey » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:07 pm

This is a great shame, as the Tail is (was?) an iconic venue and a place with a great many happy memories and associations.
Many thanks to Dave for all the hard work on this event over the years.
Has the Chain Bridge hotel changed ownership?

Jerry.

TobyLerone

Post by TobyLerone » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:10 pm

Sad to hear... always a great end to the year!

Is there any plans for a last minute change of venue at all Dave?

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:09 pm

Since the original announcement we have been working on a replacement event at the Tryweryn as there seemed to be a reasonable chance that the dam would be releasing at the end of October. I have been loathe to say anything officially while I was working on the details, but I have spoken to a few people and I am sure that many people have heard rumours of an event going ahead. I am sorry to say that the chances of having a release are rather less than we originally hoped, and therefore we have now decided that it is more sensible to make a positive decision now not to run the event rather than keep people hanging on in the expectation of an event that may never happen.

DavidDickson

Post by DavidDickson » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:47 am

Would it be possible to run the race at grandtully ? We will have everything in place from the Scottish champs the previous weekend. The Welsh and Scots committees are behind the event. We just need the slalom committees approval....

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Personally I think it is too late, and too close to the weekend to make such a large change in location. The number of events at a single location is also a concern.

But I do not paddle div 1 any more.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Papabear

Post by Papabear » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:24 pm

Whilst I respect CP' s opinion, I have to disagree.

There is still 3 weeks to organise finer details, but to be honest if everything is in place from the Scots championships then it seems silly to not do it.

If the Scots and Welsh are onboard with this idea, then we (the English) & the powers that be, should be as well.
I think the offer is really generous and we should take it - before time runs out.

Everyone I have spoken to in llandysul this weekend thinks its a great idea.

At this point in the season, lots of us need the points and were counting on the Serpents Tail race.

At least this way we get the 2 races back.

I am biased though, as we need points!!!

anna-lou

Post by anna-lou » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Whilst I am in div 1 and was really disappointed in serpents being cancelled I think to run the event at tully is unfair.

It would mean that 1/3 of this years races have been held in Scotland and at tully. Whilst I see that for some paddlers serpents tail was there last chance of demotion and promotion which I is slightly unfair but out of our control. If the venue sees such a huge change its also an issue as I know personally I couldn't now get time off to travel to and from tully and couldn't do it all on the Saturday morning and sunday evening. Surely it also benefits Scottish paddlers who will then have 6 races on their home water.

SilverSurfer

Post by SilverSurfer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:49 pm

I agree an unfair advantage to the Scottish paddlers if there is another double race held in Scotland this year.

But then when did fairness come in to it, given 2 of the 3 junior selection races in 2014 are being held at Grandtully, who agreed to that one and why ?