Tynedale Div 2/3

Discuss past and future events
davieq

Tynedale Div 2/3

Post by davieq » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:00 pm

Looking for some info on the Tynedale Div 2/3 that will be run mid April. I take it this is a new venue and was looking for some comparisons with other div 2/3 slaloms that currently run. Any info on nearby B&B's and campsite/caravan sites would be appreciated.

Thanks

Davie

carealto

Re: Tynedale Div 2/3

Post by carealto » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:39 pm

Hi Davie,

The Tynedale div 2/3 is at a new venue - on the North Tyne at the village of Wark. The event will be based at Wark Sports Club and there will be camping and (limited) spaces for caravans and motorhomes onsite - price to be confirmed). There are numerous B&Bs around and there is a Youth Hostel ("Once Brewed") which I am told one or two people entered so far are planning to use. I am drafting an info leaflet and hope to have it on line within the next few days - this will include info on accommodation, food, directions etc.

A lot of hard work has gone into arranging things with organisations and individuals in Wark and we hope it will be a big success with competitors as well as bringing a boost to the village. We hope it will become a regular event on the calendar.

Mike Woodhouse

davieq

Post by davieq » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:20 pm

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the info, am always up for trying new venues, in term of water, how does it compare with current div 2/3's eg Fairnilee or Abbey Rapids.

Cheers

Davie

carealto

Post by carealto » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:05 pm

As a comparison of water conditions with Fairnilee and Abbey, I would say that the hardest bits at Wark are probably a bit easier, but the easiest bits are a bit harder - more consistent I suppose. Does that make sense?

Mike

davieq

Post by davieq » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi Mike,
Yes that makes sense, being a paddler of a certain age (competeing in vets) I need the water to be flowing as much as possible to make it easier for me as I am so slow. The more water the better. :D

TOG

Post by TOG » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:29 pm

Absolutely agree Davie. I need even more water than you! :D

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:18 pm

For Davieq and TOG - is that more water as in faster flowing or more water as in greater draft that is required with age? Personally I would accept both to ease the passage. :lol:

TOG

Post by TOG » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Being slower, older and slightly frailer than you are Seedy, mine is the first option. :lol:

carealto

Post by carealto » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:10 pm

Hi All

Thanks to all those who have already entered - I'm aiming to get a provisional start list done for Friday (4th April), but still have plenty of spaces for entries, so please get them in asap.

No late fees for anyone entering the Open (entry fees are £6.00 single or £8.50 double - as on page 106 in the yearbook) - or you can enter as a judge for free - we still need lots of judges.

Thanks,

Mike

carealto

Post by carealto » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:47 pm

Startlists have been emailed off and should be on the Canoe Slalom website shortly.

Trophies have been delivered today, we have a course design, gates etc. and the sports club are laying in food and drinks. Must try to organise some warmth and sunshine next!

We don't know how much water will be released from Kielder yet (http://tyneriverstrust.org/wp-content/u ... table1.pdf), though Northumbrian Water have suggested it may be on the low side due to engineering works - we'd better do a rain dance then! Seriously, at current levels we should be fine with a small release.

Spaces still available - don't forget that there is an open class (or you can come and judge and get your runs for free).

Mike