Wark (Tynedale) div 2/3/open 4/5/April

Discuss past and future events
carealto

Wark (Tynedale) div 2/3/open 4/5/April

Post by carealto » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:48 pm

Wark sports club have again let us use their facilities for the event - the large indoor seating area was very popular last year and several people told me to mention the quiet onsite bar! This section of river must be one of the prettiest used for slalom - particularly in April with all the daffodils out on the bank.

Camping (caravan spaces limited - please let us know in advance), changing facilities, proper toilets - we have it all covered. We have even been promised that the Environment Agency will do their utmost to ensure we have a release from Kielder Dam (it was a bit of a scrape last year as an unusual dry spell coincided with engineering works which prevented Kielder from releasing).

Those who came last year (thank you!) will know that the Hexham Slalom contingent who run the event is very small - and as I have an operation on my wrist just a week before we are again a bit short of manpower. Any offers of help with setup during the day on Friday or with any tasks over the weekend would be much apprectiated!

Happychappy

Re: Wark (Tynedale) div 2/3/open 4/5/April

Post by Happychappy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi Mike,

Although i was not personally there last year,Chester and LWCC were very impressed with the event organisation and venue. We will be bringing all divisions to the weekend and will encourage helpers if work commitment allow. Looking forward to it already...

TOG

Post by TOG » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:58 pm

Last year confirmed one of the most pleasant campsite experiences I've had within the UK when paddling. Beautifully kept sports ground with all facilities, including onsite bar, on tap. Small but good hardstanding car park, though watch out for entrance gate/posts when reversing. Quiet village over bridge with several nice pubs within easy walking distance. Course layout allows direct return to campsite at end of run for the veteran paddler who needs extra recovery time after exertions.

All that's needed this year is a release!

:lol:

carealto

Post by carealto » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:11 pm

The environment agency have proposed a 15.4 cumec release from 6:00 am on 3rd April to 6:00 am on 5th, but then ramping down to 1.32 cumecs. We have spoken to the area hydrologist who deals with the releases and she believes that it takes about 12 hours for the flow to reach Reaverhill guage (about an hour or so downstream from Wark). Provided we aim to finish by around 4pm on Sunday (and I'm sure people will want to get away) we should be able to set a fairly challenging course.

Please bear in mind that the river at Wark is quite wide, so 15 cumecs will not have quite the same effect as it does on the Washburn or an artificial course!

We still have places available and I plan to post a provisional startlist later today. Reservations for the limited area for caravans and campers are filling up fast - please let me know if you would like a space.