Tryweryn division 1 and Pan Celtic Cup slalom 6/7 June

Discuss past and future events
richardlee

Tryweryn division 1 and Pan Celtic Cup slalom 6/7 June

Post by richardlee » Wed May 20, 2015 8:05 pm

Tryweryn Division 1 / Pan Celtic slalom 6/7 June
A quick update regarding the division 1 / Pan Celtic cup slalom at Tryweryn on 6 /7 June.

The event is at its’ limit – however, with a number of withdrawals, we have not turned anybody away. If there are any promotions to division 1 this weekend, I hope we can accept the entry – please email me on Richard.lee65@btinternet.com . However I will not be able to accept paddle ups as the event is full. Pan Celtic paddlers ranked in division 2 will not get a paddle up , due to the rules in place. If there are any withdrawals in the next couple of weeks – please let me know so that I can fill any available places – I will destroy any cheques relevant to this (I am human, and if I make an error in this, please forgive me, contact me and we will sort any financial issues out….). A start list will be posted after the HPP weekend .

The water will be confirmed in the week before – so please ring the water information line on 01678 520826 or check in on www. ukrafting.co.uk . However water levels are good and we hope to have water between 8am and 6.30pm on both days. This will be enough to run the Pan Celtic individual runs on Saturday, although there will be no team runs. The event itself will be held on the Chapel falls section – paddlers should be aware of the rafts in the warm up area – they are not as mobile as slalom boats, so please keep your wits about you. On both days – practice will commence at 8.15 am. On Saturday – K1Men and C1W will race in the morning, and other classes in the afternoon. On Sunday – C1Men, K1 Women, C2s and Veterans will race in the morning and K1 Men and K1 Women in the afternoon. More of that later….

The Bala triathlon will be held on Sunday – so there will be road closures over the weekend and please keep an eye out for cyclist – especially a the turning into the centre. Accommodation is getting booked up , and you may need to pre book camp sites.

The parking on site will be limited in the immediate area - if you are staying at Ty’n Cornel camping, next to the slalom site, it is probably best to leave your car on the campsite as it is immediately below the finish line.
Judging – I have had to look at a number of options for the weekend. These included:
1. Hoping that judges might materialise – thanks to those who have volunteered so far, but to be fair to them and you as paddlers, I looked at option 2….

2. Give Dr Robin a remit to press gang “volunteers” into judging. This was against his humanitarian values and declined this option, leaving option 3……

3. Train sheep to judge. This was going well, apart from the sticky tape getting tangled in the wool when attaching judging bats. Last Thursday they went to market and I’ve not seen them since…..leaving me with option 4.

4. On Saturday K1 Men and C1Women will race in the morning, and judge in the afternoon (unless doubling up). This will be limited to ½ an hour per session and managed by Dr Robin (no press gangs involved) and paddlers will undoubtedly feel a great sense of wellbeing from being involved in this way…… On Sunday, I hope (see option 1) that we will have a few more judges and we will not need to ask K1W, C1M and C2s to judge (sorry K1M, C1Ws…), but have included a plan B in case this is not the case and you may need to do some judging (appreciate it makes it a long day, but we will should close racing at about 4.10 pm on the Sunday) – we can give a heads up on Saturday night regarding this. If there are Premier or division 2 paddlers who want an officials run on Sunday – please email me and I can plan accordingly.

Finally many thanks to those who have already offered to help on the weekend - any offers of further hands to make light work of the weekend or questions, please email me on Richard.lee65@btinternet .com and we can take it from there.

Looking forward to the weekend

Richard Lee, on behalf of the canoe Wales Slalom Committee.

Dee

Re: Tryweryn division 1 and Pan Celtic Cup slalom 6/7 June

Post by Dee » Wed May 20, 2015 11:08 pm

richardlee wrote: 3. Train sheep to judge. This was going well, apart from the sticky tape getting tangled in the wool when attaching judging bats. Last Thursday they went to market and I’ve not seen them since…..
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Thu May 21, 2015 10:59 am

Hi Richard

I think that these unique and novel ways you are trying to identify sufficient Judges for this event to take place will be applauded by all Race Organisers, Judgeing Coordinators and most competing Paddlers alike. Planning to have classes do both to back runs in either the morning or afternoon sessions looks to me to be a very sensible solution and one that other events may wish to consider.

However have you also decided what will be the penalty will be for any Tom, Mick or Harry who decides that they are not going to assist with the Judgeing at this event? This may be by being fully open and stating that to you ahead of the event or by being more sneaky and just not turning up to their allocated Judges position at their allocated time slot. Then planning to say to you, if challenged about it, that they had not checked the Judges Rota and were therefore unaware that their involvement was required for the event to go ahead.

I think that this should also be made clear to all participants before any such situation should arise.

Looking forward to a great weekend.
Jasper

richardlee

Post by richardlee » Thu May 21, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi Jasper

A good point - I will be consulting with the chair of the jury regarding the race on Saturday and we will make a call, that will be published at control while I will look to make rota times available beforehand through the website. Hopefully, we will have more judges on Sunday,but if not, we may be informed by decisions taken on the Saturday, regarding the question you pose.

I trust that paddlers will paddle and make good decisions both on and off the water to ensure the event runs well. I hope that you can trust the organisers and the jury chair to manage the race and make good decisions for the benefit of all in the light of all information to hand.

Thanks for keeping us thinking about all eventualities

Richard Lee

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Thu May 21, 2015 9:57 pm

I think the idea of training sheep could be easier than herding canoeists!

For me, this wins the award for most innovative humorous post and it made my day after a hard day at work. Thanks Richard and hope event goes well and you get the support from those at the race.

321go

Post by 321go » Sun May 24, 2015 9:46 am

Richard
You missed Option 5
At the bottom of the course ask the paddlers what penalties they incurred on their run.
Does away with any judges. And just needs a laptop connected to the scoring system

Happychappy

Post by Happychappy » Mon May 25, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi, my wife and I are happy to judge, we have 4 people to coach but happy to do judges slots both days ideally not K1 Men.
Rob and Michelle Softley

richardlee

Post by richardlee » Mon May 25, 2015 4:17 pm

Rob and Michelle

Many thanks - you and your followers will be blessed by the waters of the Tryweryn! Well.... at least by Dr Robin, who is organising the judging rota.

All the best

Richard Lee

richardlee

Post by richardlee » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:32 pm

On behalf of the Canoe Wales slalom committee, many thanks to all of those who assisted in running the event this weekend.
Thanks to the 50 or so volunteers in control, start / pre start, finish,on the river bank, on the jury, section judges, gate judges who made it possible, all those who gave up time before and after the event and to the paddlers for racing and judging where needed.

Lots of people get involved in running these events voluntarily - without you the sport would not exist - it is a privilege that we can have days like these on white water. Thank you.

Richard Lee