Twitter During Events

Discuss past and future events
Nick Taylor

Twitter During Events

Post by Nick Taylor » Wed May 27, 2015 9:26 am

Has anyone tried using Twitter to post updates & news during events?
We use a PA to let people know what's going on but I thought Twitter might be a useful addition. Reaches further...
I'll probably use @VikingKayakClub & #vikingslalom
Any experience, ideas or comments welcome

alan1nckc

Re: Twitter During Events

Post by alan1nckc » Wed May 27, 2015 12:25 pm

We don't have a reliable Internet connection at the Nene, so Twitter or Facebbook won't work for us. Instead our results system updates files on a web server running on site, and a long-range wireless access point provides an intranet for the event. It is within a minute of the live results.

suse

Post by suse » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:26 pm

Nick, really?? We don't spend our whole lives glued to our mobiles when we are at events, in fact a lot of us quite like the break from technology.

Nick Taylor

Post by Nick Taylor » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:33 am

Please forgive the double post
I've already posted this in 'Shepperton Div 1/2 - 5th/6th March 2016' viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2658

I'm playing with Twitter to see if it is a useful way to spread news & updates during a competition.
Most people have a phone & reception is ok at many slalom sites.
Viking tried it last year with modest results & we will use it again.

I'm thinking this could be really useful to tell each other where there are parking spaces this weekend

If you're heading to Shepperton this weekend take a look https://twitter.com/search?q=%23sheppertonslalom
I think you can see this without having a Twitter account

Over the weekend I'll try to share updates about parking etc with anyone who is following

If you know what I'm talking about please join in with Likes, Retweets, your own Tweets etc #SheppertonSlalom

If have something to share but you're shy or this is all gobbledegook mail me on nick.taylor1@gmail.com
Or chat to Div2K1M bib 93. I'll be the one shivering & hitting poles

You can see me here https://twitter.com/NickATaylor