Grandtully (Tully) Div 2/3 Aug 13/14

Discuss past and future events
RobM

Grandtully (Tully) Div 2/3 Aug 13/14

Post by RobM » Thu May 26, 2016 9:16 am

We will be running the competition as a Div 2, with a Div 2 course set from the top rather than the middle. The Div 3 element is not viable and we have no Div 3 entrants so far anyway. Any Div 3's can enter as paddle ups. Anyone who has entered so far and is concerned about this change, please contact me. Rob

davieq

Re: Grandtully (Tully) Div 2/3 Aug 13/14

Post by davieq » Thu May 26, 2016 12:18 pm

Rob,
That's great news, bit selfish on my part probably, but I raced the Div2/3 last year and felt a bit cheated that the best part of the river had been omitted :D

JimW

Post by JimW » Thu May 26, 2016 1:39 pm

Sounds good to me!
I might end up doing some swimming out of my C1, but that will be nothing to do with the rapid, I even managed it at Aberfeldy!

TOG

Post by TOG » Fri May 27, 2016 12:37 am

[quote]We will be running the competition as a Div 2, with a Div 2 course set from the top rather than the middle. The Div 3 element is not viable and we have no Div 3 entrants so far anyway. Any Div 3's can enter as paddle ups.[/quote]

Without any kind of prejudice one way or the other, I'd be interested in thoughts on a couple of of issues seemingly raised here. While I appreciate that there are pressures placed apon organising clubs, I'm curious as to the change of level that has apparently taken place.

[list]This event has been planned and advertised, both in the printed yearbook and on the website until 25 May, as a 2/3 event. While I completely understand that that under certain immediate circumstances prevailing at the time of the event decisions may change e.g. the the partial and/or eventual cancellation of an entire day's competition on safety grounds due to rising water levels (as experienced elsewhere), I'm curious as to the decision to run this as stated above. If this was advertised as a Div 2/3 why is the Div 3 "not viable" some two-and-a-half months prior to the event?

[listMy understanding, over a few years of entering slaloms, is that that entries are due 15 days before the event at the latest. Is it the case that because no entries have been received in a particular category/class two-and-a-half months before the event, these are grounds for justification for cancellation of that class/category? While I'm aware of considerable issues due to over-subscription and advance booking of events in the last couple of years in respect of Div 1 entries, as yet I'm unenlightened as to how this, or its inverse, has impacted on Div 3.

While I'd personally welcome a Div 2 course from the top of Grandtully (oh my aching limbs/lungs/etc - ok I wouldn't really) as a genuine test, it's not the shift we need from basic Div 3/4 courses which can be run on virtually flat water. Even the skills gap from the closely associated Fairnilee (not flat water) could be addressed using the lower half of Tully. Many years ago I've seen that dealt with creatively at lower level slaloms by organising clubs - yes, I was that wobbly C1 then, who later became that slightly less wobbly C1 from the top of the course.