Div 2 Paddlers - Where are you?

Discuss past and future events
Dee

Div 2 Paddlers - Where are you?

Post by Dee » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:10 pm

There are often comments on the board regarding the lack of races, particularly in the South, at div 2 level. So this year, partly because we are no longer allowed to run a joint div 1/2, Shepperton have added a new double div 2 to the calendar (on 11th/12th March) a mere week after the div 1.

We still only have around 30 entries. The competition will still run, but if you want this competition to appear on the calendar next year we really, really need to see some more entries.

Div 3 paddle ups will be welcome, but remember that this will be aimed at the div 2s, so be prepared.....

What will the water be like?
Any body who knows Sheppy will be aware that we can't actually control the water - it rather depends on how much rain there has been in the preceding weeks. However, the reason for holding the div 1 this early in the year is that this is when the water is usually at its best. By running the div 2 in the adjacent week we hope to be able to give you the experience of the harder water but with a course designed around your abilities. If the water levels turn out to be lower then we will make the course a bit harder, so either way you should get a good race.

So not only is this a new race especially created for you, but we have free on-road parking, free camping, a great canteen and a pub just over the road for your evening meal. So please to get booked in online at http://www.canoeslalomentries.co.uk. You know it makes sense! :D
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Terryg

Re: Div 2 Paddlers - Where are you?

Post by Terryg » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:14 pm

Have tried to enter online, but your system does not seem to cater for Vets.
Will be sending an entry by mail.

regards
Terry

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi Terry

Yes it does
Just select Vet from the list under classes (you have to scroll down a bit)
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Terryg

Post by Terryg » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:07 pm

OK. Didn't notice it scrolled.
Entry already in post.

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:18 pm

Not to worry - you'll know next time :)

JimW

Post by JimW » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:04 am

I'm not entirely convinced about travelling all the way to Shepperton from Scotland anyway, but it is impossible for me this year because I am playing Polo in Dundee that weekend (div 2 of course).

Lee Valley is another conundrum - I really want to paddle there and I could incorporate a visit to my sister, but I notice they only have the Sunday again this year.

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:27 pm

Yup, I can understand that; it is a very long way (having gone in the opposite direction a couple of times)!

IDL

Post by IDL » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:59 pm

Hi Dee,
It seems that there are 2 types of Div 2 paddler. The young hopefuls, and the old farts. I can't speak for the young hopefuls, but this old fart is still hibernating!

To give a fuller view on the situation. I appreciate that Shepperton put on a good event with good facilities, and I'm glad to hear you've got a solution to the parking, but I do think that the unpredictability of the water can be a significant factor, especially for some Div 2 paddlers.

James Hastings

Post by James Hastings » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:03 pm

This Div 2 paddler will still be in river running mode!

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:09 am

Late fees kick in on Friday, so now is a good time to get those last minute entries in!