Shepperton Div 2 - 3/4 March 2018

Discuss past and future events
Dee

Shepperton Div 2 - 3/4 March 2018

Post by Dee » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:01 pm

Less than a week to go.

Late fees will be waived to all those entering in advance, so please enter asap. You can enter online at www.canoeslalomentries.co.uk.

Div 3 paddle ups will be welcome.

Free camping (tents only)
Great canteen
Hot showers in the clubhouse
Pub a few yards up the road.

See you Saturday!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

Re: Shepperton Div 2 - 3/4 March 2018

Post by Dee » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Is anyone planning on arriving early for a practise on Friday afternoon/early evening? I have another paddler who would like company on the water.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:15 pm

From the organiser:
As you are no doubt acutely aware the weather is far less than ideal ahead of our slalom at Shepperton this weekend. Currently (Thurs PM) access roads around Shepperton are clear.
It is a personal decision on your part to make the journey to Shepperton,
It goes without saying that in order to enjoy your time at Shepperton over the weekend you will need to be prepared (both on the water and off the water).

· Extra kit (lots of thin layers, skull caps/mitts etc)
· Lots of dry clothing so that you are warm off the water (Hats, gloves, coats etc)
· Additional warm ups (longer than normal and perhaps at a higher intensity as the temperature will be lower, consider a bank based warm up to get your base core temperature higher, then perhaps paddling in a light jacket that you take off brfore you start your run.
· Something to wear over your kit in the event you inspect a course.
· Warm food/drink (perhaps a thermos mug of hot squash for consumption during session?).
There will be plenty of hot food and drinks available at the event.
We will provide heating to the boathouse & a gazebo to provide some shelter.

Best regards and happy paddling

Shane

Ken Trollope

Post by Ken Trollope » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:49 am

Slightly off topic.
In March 1963 when I was a student in Kingston, just upstream of Shepperton, the Thames was frozen over and people were walking across!

Ken T
If it is not on fire, it might be a software problem.

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:11 pm

Hopefully the water will be a little more fluid tomorrow

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:01 pm

For those that didn't make it today.

We did go ahead. Yes it was cold but much warmer than of late and with less wind so largely escaped the wind chill factor. Approach roads were generally free of snow except the last couple of hundred yards.

What snow there was has now pretty much melted and forecast and temperatures are expected to rise further tomorrow.

For Sunday......
Official practice is from 9:30,
First runs will be at 11am, second runs about 1pm

Mike Mitchell

Post by Mike Mitchell » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:43 pm

Good effort everyone.

Dee

Post by Dee » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:10 pm

Was a balmy +8/9 today with not a snowflake in sight. :)