Pinkston Div 2/3 5/6 May 2018

Discuss past and future events
JimW

Pinkston Div 2/3 5/6 May 2018

Post by JimW » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:05 pm

BREAKING NEWS!
  • Free Practice
    We have secured sponsorship from the course designers, EPD, to allow practise sessions on Friday and Saturday evenings to be run for free, making them free in all respects.
    We do still need you all to book in advance so that we can plan how much time to run on 1 pump (for div 3 practise) and 2 pumps (for div 2 practise) to avoid over-crowding either session, and will require you to wear the bib you tell us when booking (if entering K1 & C1 & C2 just tell us one bib and wear it all evening)
    Actual session times will be published here closer to the race date, once we have enough bookings to work out the split. Most likely 1 pump will start at 5pm, and 2 pumps will stop at 9pm.
    There will be official practise runs each morning as usual

• Officials/Judges runs
    Officials runs will be at the start of each group of runs on 3 pumps, so anyone looking for some 3 pump water time in advance of the Div 1 race here in June can get some by doing some judging, or one of the other jobs we have available for you.

• Hard Standing Camping
    Due to the layout of the site we are only able to offer hard standing tarmac pitches for caravans and motorhomes. We currently have a few pitches left.
    If you have a tent that will pitch on tarmac without pegs we may be able to accommodate you - please email to find out.
    Camping fees to be paid at control on the day.
The event info and poster have been updated with the news
Event Info
Enquiries and bookings for free practise and caravans/motorhomes to jim@jim-wallis.co.uk

JimW

Re: Pinkston Div 2/3 5/6 May 2018

Post by JimW » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:44 pm

Important
If anyone has spoken to me at an event recently (Llandysul, Tully, Aberfeldy) about camping, practise or any other topic relating to the div 2/3 slalom and hasn't sent me an email to remind me of the conversation, please do.
I have spoken to several people about camping for the div 1 (which has nothing to do with me, try pinkstonentries@gmail.com for that event) and I am concerned in case I have forgotten a div 2/3 conversation in all the confusion!

Practice bookings
I will be apportioning practice time to 1 or 2 pumps based on the number of bookings I have received in advance so that on average everyone has the amount of useful water time.
Typically we have around half the number of paddlers for 1 pump as for 2 pumps so the 2 pump session is likely to last twice as long as the 1 pump session but this will be determined by the bookings.
Please email me to book a session - there is no charge but if you don't book, your session might be more crowded than it could have been.

JimW

Post by JimW » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:26 pm

We still have lots of space available for entries and free practice, it would be nice to see the C1s and div 3 ladies events quorate!

Entries will be accepted on the day but it is much better for our planning if you can enter in advance.

There are still a couple of pitches for caravans or motorhome camping available but we are nearly full.

JimW

Post by JimW » Wed May 02, 2018 12:41 pm

Friday evening free practice times

Based on numbers of paddlers booked the practise sessions will run as follows:
  • 1 Pump for Div 3 paddlers - 1700 to 1820
  • 2 Pumps for Div 2 paddlers - 1820 to 2100
There will be some official safety cover present during these sessions since not all paddlers are familiar withthe site.

Based on entries to date our provisional start time for Official practice runs on Saturday looks OK so we will be switching 3 pumps on at 0900 to give the judges an hour of free practise immediately before offical practice. Judges will provide unofficial safety cover to each other. Judges will be first off at 1000 for official practise, judges meeting time to be confirmed - probably 1100.

Unfortunately it is too complicated to arrange free practice on 1 or 2 pumps on Saturday morning.

Saturday evening free practice times

Saturday evening free practice times will be displayed in control once we complete prize giving, hopefully we will start a little earlier.

Sunday start times

The programme will start 30 minutes earlier on Sunday with the intention to have prize giving at about 1600. This means judges free practice will start at 0830, and official practice runs at 0930.

Caravans / Campervans
I have one hardstanding pitch remaining, if you would like to book it best get in quick!

JimW

Post by JimW » Mon May 07, 2018 12:59 am

Thank you everyone who came along over the weekend; from the competitors who travelled from as far afield as Peterborough, Telford, Lee Valley & Llandysul to all the helpers, volunteers and spectators.

I have had so many positive comments about the venue and the way the event ran that I should probably mention Andy Laird of EPD again - he designed the venue originally and sponsored our free practice session so that we didn't need to charge for pump time.

The course design was a collaborative effort with the majority of the gates set up by Chris Curry, Michael Brown and Andrew Douglas (all Panthers as well as CR Cats and AKC) with Johnny Brown of CR Cats adding his experience in the fine tuning and managing the pump and gate height changes for us. Also thanks to Davie Dickson for renewing some of the bearer ropes whilst the course was being erected.

I will run to pages if I thank everyone personally, all your help was most appreciated!

I have added some of my photos to the facebook event page:
Facebook link with photos

Jim Wallis
Pinkston Panthers