Washburn releases

Discuss past and future events
James Hastings

Washburn releases

Post by James Hastings » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone out there have any information on the current state of Thurcross Reservoir? At the moment there is no sign of a Washburn release calendar for this year on the Yorcie web site, which makes me think that the water level in the reservoir must still be low, which doesn't bode well for the 2019 Washburn slaloms.

Better start praying for a very wet spring!

James

lesf

Re: Washburn releases

Post by lesf » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:44 pm

I'm not sure why the calendar hasn't come out yet, there is a 1 day release next weekend for the BUCS WWR event.

As far as reservoir levels are concerned, last week the water was flowing over all 5 spillways on Thruscross Dam (see https://www.facebook.com/riverwashburn/)

However, it's worth pointing out that this time last year we were having a wet spring and Thruscross reservoir was full in March. It was several months of no rain at all and very hot weather increasing demand for water that meant the level dropped pretty quickly.

And I understand there is some work happening on Lindley Wood reservoir (the lowest of the three in the valley) that means YW may to keep levels down in that reservoir which could impact on Washburn releases in the year if there isn't the capacity downstream to put the water being released from Thruscross reservoir.

So really we need it wet enough to keep the top reservoir full, and dry enough that the bottom reservoir is being drained leaving room for any water being released!

James Hastings

Re: Washburn releases

Post by James Hastings » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:45 am

Thanks for the update Les. Sounds like things are not nearly as bad as I'd feared. Fingers crossed for some good Washburn slaloms this season.

James