First Aid

Place to chat about stuff OTHER than slalom
kendall chew

Post by kendall chew » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:00 am

I have just been on the first two days of a three day "Rescue Emergency Care" First aid course with Dave Hepworth of Extreme Care. It has been presented in a very practical way with plenty of real life first aid situations to deal with and, much scope for discussion about the "Whys and hows". The course has made me re evaluate what I carry in my boat and my car - they are not the same. The third day of this course will be boat based and sport specific, addressing practical issues such as how to get a paddler with a dislocated shoulder off a rock and onto the bankside in order to facilitate evacuation to hospital.

A few weeks ago a discussion came up regarding first aid and the provision of such at slalom events. Might I suggest that this course is entirely appropriate for the situations we might find ourselves in at competition or training and, if anyone is in need of renewing their certificate, this is the one to go for. I appreciate that providing first aid cover a all events, might be difficult but, the more people with up to date tickets floating around the sport, the more likely there will be one around when they are needed and, if we make our presence known at the start of an event, the organisers will at least be aware of what they have available.

You can contact Dave Hepworth, via his website: extremecare.co.uk

PeterC

Re: First Aid

Post by PeterC » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:42 pm

Thanks Kendall. I will try and make sure you are around before I fall in!