Canoe England Slalom Committee - Any volunteers?

The place to discuss slalom development issues specific to England
Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:30 pm

We currently have four members of the Canoe England Slalom Committee - Mark Shaw, Trudi Johnson, Stuart Meakins & Sue Martin - but we are going to need quite a few more if we are to develop slalom in England.

Do you have some free time and would be prepared to help set up the committee, so that we can manage our own finances and provide limited funding to encourage slalom development across all the English regions.

If you feel passionate about the development of Canoe Slalom in England, particularly at the grass roots level, then please add a post with your contact details.
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:38 am

Do you mean "grass roots" level as in kids or as in beginners to slalom?

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:26 pm

Hi Munchkin,

I meant beginners to slalom. I see our challenge as helping canoe clubs to get more people to take up slalom, both young and old. To achieve this we need to encourage both paddlers and parents to get involved with their local clubs to help them grow.

In too many cases it is just one or two committed adults trying to keep everything going with limited support. We need a wider network to help support these individuals, both at local and national level.

I know that you are enthusiastic about the sport of Canoe Slalom from your posts on this forum. Do you see yourself as being able to help out either at a local club level or maybe more?

Mark
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:36 pm

Hi Mark,

It is something I am giving thought to. I agree that many clubs need more support, particularly the clubs with fewer slalom paddlers or a lack of facilities nearby. I will pm you shortly. My ability to help may be hindered by a possible secondment to Moscow though!

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:10 am

Sorry Mark, but I attended a meeting about two years ago about the formation of this new committee and offered our support as did several other interested parties, we all said that we would like to be involved and passed on our contact details, to date we have heard absolutely nothing, so surprised that you are asking for help?

I note that most of the people mentioned did not even attend that meeting!

Sorry have I/We missed anything????

Graeme
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

dsamartin

Post by dsamartin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:01 pm

Hi Graeme,
I was not aware of the meeting that you refer to which was held more than two years ago, my son at that time had only recently become involved with canoe slalom and we, as parents, were raw novices, barely capable of completing the entry cards!!
I don't think this is about what has happened in the past-I feel it is important that we move the 'England Slalom Committee' forward the best way we can rather than 'hark' back to what did, or indeed, did not happen!!

Sue

Anne

Post by Anne » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:33 am

Yes a meeting did take place a couple of years ago but no one at that meeting was willing to take it on and move it forward. Following the recent meeting that wasn't the case - we had 4 volunteers so lets move forward on that and get England well and truly on the map.

A huge thanks from me to those working proactively to get things going.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:36 am

Anne wrote:Yes a meeting did take place a couple of years ago but no one at that meeting was willing to take it on and move it forward. Following the recent meeting that wasn't the case - we had 4 volunteers so lets move forward on that and get England well and truly on the map.

A huge thanks from me to those working proactively to get things going.
That may well have been due to the fact that nothing happened afterwards, as we all gave our contact details and heard nothing?

But I agree a huge thanks to those that have now taken on the roles and the best of luck to them to get Canoe England back on the map :D

Graeme
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching