Does your canoe club have training water? - Where gates can be hung?

The place to discuss slalom development issues specific to England

Does your canoe club have training water? - Where gates can be hung?

Yes - we have gates up permanently
80%
Yes - but we have to put them up and take them down again after every session
No votes
No - but there is club near us that we are allowed to share with
No votes
No - we don't have our own training water and there isn't a club near enough
20%

Total votes: 15

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:34 pm

Without access to water with gates hung either on a permanent or semi-permanent basis it is extremely difficult to encourage the development of slalom within your canoe club.

It doesn't have to be moving water however - an old gravel pit would do once a health & safety assessment has been undertaken.

P.S. Can you please post a reply when you vote so that I know which clubs/individuals have responded to the poll?
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:51 pm

St Albans make use of the permanent gates at harefield (there's a race their soon too!) http://www.canoeslalom.co.uk/courses/harefield.htm

The site isn't owned by any particular club, but a few of the St Albans paddlers now maintain it... There are a couple of sliuces and permanent gates!

Dee

Post by Dee » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:27 pm

Permanent gates, non-permanent water!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

dsamartin

Post by dsamartin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:53 pm

Cleveland Canoe Club are very fortunate in that they have permanent gates(although difficult to move!) reliable water, regular coaching support for lower division paddlers (Div4-1, Darren Cresser)

c1champ

Post by c1champ » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:17 pm

Matlock canoe club has permanent gates, water. There is a very good coaching support from two very good coaches. Can get very busy in summer with other water users. Thats the only problem. There is a wide range of paddlers from div 4's to some of the top prems.

Steve Hawkins Matlock c.c

ratty

Post by ratty » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:26 pm

Gates set up permanently at Matlock Mark

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:30 am

Baldock and District have a permanent swimming pool with occassional gates! No moving water, no permanent gates and no slalom specific coaches (just very nice volunteers who have given slalom a go themselves and pass on words of wisdom to the rest of us).

We have more people getting into the sport but I am not sure how far we can get them. Nevermind, most started because we advertised the cake prizes at Orton Mere!!!

jke

Post by jke » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:31 pm

We have permanent gates on flat water at Market Yard in the centre of Frome. We also have some gates during the summer at Langham Farm slalom site.

John Kent
Frome Canoe Club
John Kent

Alison

Post by Alison » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:59 am

We have a swimming pool session but no access to gates. Usally a weekly river trip somewhere. As a result its quite hard to encourage new people to slalom. I'm hoping the situation will improve next year with Symonds Yat though the gates won't be permanent.

Alison
Cheltenham

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:27 pm

You've been to Marple often enough Mark! But for those that haven't, we have about 25 permanent training gates in three sections, and we are planning to add another 5 or so in the near future.

I am very aware just how lucky we are at Manchester, though we do curse about bashing our paddles on the bottom at this time of year!

katonas

Post by katonas » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:50 pm

Hereford KC has 2 singles poles hanging from tree branches above the old bridge on the Wye, in the centre of Hereford. One pole is obstructed by debris. I voted 'no'.

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:47 pm

We have 10 gates permanently hung outside the Clubhouse on flat water. When the water level rises, we paddle on Duckmill Sluices where we spend 15 mins stringing out 6 training gates. We train every week, once a week. As we train all year round, I think it splits maybe 40% on sluices and 60% on the flat.

Discussions are in progress with the local authority to permanently illuminate the sluice area and that seems it will go ahead. we are also discussing a retractable gate suspension system that will be generally invisible but only take 5 mins to erect and get training.

We train every Tuesday night (7pm to 9pm) through summer and Sunday morning (10am to noon) through winter and these days change with the clocks changing. Anyone may join in the sessions, but if you are not a VKC member, a fee of £5 per session is requested.
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!