Inquorate Classes

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
carealto

Post by carealto » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:36 pm

Do the rules for inquorate classes need to be revisited?

I refer to Saturday's div 3s at Shepperton (where 3 of the 4 K1W entrants were awarded 1000 points) and to Saturday at Ironbridge where all div 3 entrants in all classes were awarded 400 points as the K1M class was inquorate and all other classes (also with small numbers of entrants) were given points based on this. At Ironbridge some of the div 3 competitors would have got more points for the times they set if they had been in div 2!

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:16 pm

Just spoke to Dave at Shepp - original points for Div 3 Ladies Saturday is incorrect and it had already been noted and is in hand - watch the results it will amend

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:28 am

That having been said and having now personally done the maths under the rules it seems to work out. So now I am confused.
It does create an anomaly if you ask me

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:16 pm

Might be worth running it through the event organiser software to triple check?

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:31 pm

If my memory serves, which it doesn't always, that had been done.

I'll ask again though for clarity

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:31 pm

The only anomoly we should be focussing on is why weren't there a minimum of 5 K1 women at Shepperton and 5 K1 men at Ironbridge on the days in question. Too many Div 3 races on the calendar or just not enough Div 3 paddlers competing?

The fact that three of the women were within 112% of the 2nd placed K1 man at Shepperton is all credit to them and they should be rewarded with 1000 pts. If there had been one more woman present on the day then one of them would have been going home with a lot less points and having to wait longer to get promoted in to Div2.

As for Ironbridge, I'm hoping this is entirely due to the fact that this particular race has been off the calendar for a number of years whilst significant work was done to stabilise the river banks. I believe the race was well received by all who attended and therefore should be better attended next year.
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

Dadstaxi

Post by Dadstaxi » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:43 pm

With regards to Ironbridge, other than my 'swim' on the 2nd run (and two swims in practice :) - at least it was warm ) Sunday was a great day. The only downside, which the organisers coped with admirably, was the constantly rising river levels. Didn't quite rise as quickly as the Abbey Rapids Prem the other year but not far off!! :p

As to the issue of too few paddlers in the Div 3 race, part of the issue is that I believe (and I've no facts to base this on - purely an opinion) more are being promoted into Div 2 than are coming into the sport and being promoted from Div 4 to Div 3 - look at the div 4 entries at the recent Sowerby Bridge 3/4, and it will be interesting to see the attendance at the forthcoming Stone 3/4 (plug plug!). I have often wondered why is it easier to get promoted out of the lower divisions (3300 points) than it is to get promoted from Div 1 (4700+). Surely it would be better if the promotion was based around the same points for all divisions as this could alleviate the 'pyramid' becoming top heavy or expanding in the middle, as paddlers are 'held back' in the lower divisions gaining race experience & valuable water time.

Just my thoughts - but as I opened well done to the Ironbridge organisers - looking forward to 2012 race already - though hopefully with a bit less water - and I may have learnt to roll by then :)

cheers

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:05 pm

Mark Shaw wrote:The fact that three of the women were within 112% of the 2nd placed K1 man at Shepperton is all credit to them and they should be rewarded with 1000 pts.
I agree