Why only one olympian?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
alldaypaddler

Why only one olympian?

Post by alldaypaddler » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:42 pm

I was just wondering really.

In slalom, it appears that (apart from C2 in special circumstances) only one paddler is allowed from each country.

but in other sports, if you qualify, you get in. so there can be lots of people from the same country in the same category. are we only allowed one because of the capacity of the centre? or to make it a fair competition? (because let's face it, if each country were allowed more paddlers, gb would be drowned), or is this another lack of medals argument?

ps. wouldn't it be nice to introduce the teams to the olympics? :)

Dee

Re: Why only one olympian?

Post by Dee » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Teams at the Olympics would be spectacular and potentially a real crowd puller.

I'd like to see C1W as well.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:46 pm

The IOC allows only a fixed number of competitors for canoe. Then to prove the sport is Global there has to be a spread of nations and continents.

Hence the quota system, earned at World and Continental Championships, and the nation restriction to increase the number of nations (a real catch 22!)

When C1W come in, the ICF will have to work out where to get the athlete places from. Abandon C2? Reduce sprint participation? Or (hardest of all) get more athlete places for canoe?

My opinion (biased and personal) get rid of sports where the Olympics is not the ultimate prize. Biased I woudl say - football and probably tennis, and distribute teh athlete places to 'proper sports'. But that might affect teh audience figures. . . . good job I have no influence
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

alldaypaddler

Post by alldaypaddler » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:19 pm

i guess there are really more than one paddler from each country - half the paddlers are actually from france. :lol:

Carlosvalderama

Post by Carlosvalderama » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:30 pm

Canadian Paddler wrote: My opinion (biased and personal) get rid of sports where the Olympics is not the ultimate prize. Biased I woudl say - football and probably tennis, and distribute teh athlete places to 'proper sports'. But that might affect teh audience figures. . . . good job I have no influence
Golf to look forward to in Rio 2016 too!!

But agree include sports that don't normall get their time in the spotlight.
Canoe Polo would be good to see.

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:06 pm

At the 1992 and 1996 Games, up to 3 boats per class per nation were allowed. Our K1M team, for example, was Ian Raspin, Paul Ratcliffe and Shaun Pearce - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canoeing_a ... slalom_K-1

Having won their bid for the 2000 Olympics, the Sydney organising committee decided that they didn't want to build a slalom course - it was "too expensive for just one event". They asked the IOC to allow them to drop slalom, the IOC agreed - and, keen to contain the scale of the Olympics, took away the athlete places.

There was an international campaign, led by the BCU and the FFCK, to get slalom reinstated. Eventually the Aussies were persuaded. They asked the IOC to let them put us back in, and the IOC agreed - but they did not allow "additional" athlete places in canoeing. Sprint canoeing gave up the 80-odd places we have now - a lot for them to concede, but not really enough for a slalom World Championship.

By the way the BCU and the FFCK made substantial cash contributions to the cost of building the course.

Ironically, post Olympics, that "too expensive" slalom course has become the most-used facility of everything Sydney built.

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Interesting post Nick, I didn't realise we helped pay for the Sydney course! Really sad they didn't reinstate the athlete places.

MikeR

Post by MikeR » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:56 am

I would have thought that the IOC would be fairly happy to increase the number of Athletes when we add C1W, as they are fairly keen for equal opportunities between men and women. I know that one of the sprint paddlers also kicked up a fuss about the lack of women's events in the Olympics, does anyone know what happened about that?

roodthomas

Post by roodthomas » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:19 am

One problem of the whole arrangement is that they say to increase numbers in one sport would be to decrease them in another, hence the drop of windsurfing in 2016 for kitesurfing (I think it was).

Yes you would think that they would consider the balance of men vs women, but if you look at the cycling, that is what cost Sir Chris the opportunity to compete for the same number of medals as Beijing; they cut some of the events to allow the women's events to increase so the men and women were competing for the same titles...

My biggest beef with the whole thing is that if were going to go to the expense of making all of these facilities eg Lee Valley, why not use them for the full day like we do at our normal events or world cups. I don't want to suggest that a lot of the volunteers don't already do enough as I was one of them (and I thought we all did an amazing job), but it is the Olympics and we did have time to put on more events like C1W and Teams. Its just about time management; 3 finals days for 4 categories was way too spread out. Look at the athletics, there is at least one thing happening all of the time.

Its just a question of money running the two channels really...

Or is that just my views??

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:02 pm

I don't want to suggest that a lot of the volunteers don't already do enough as I was one of them (and I thought we all did an amazing job),
I agree. All the volunteers are real stars :P
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

alldaypaddler

Post by alldaypaddler » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:18 pm

if we need to take away events to allow for new ones, i'm sure almost everyone would agree they should be taken from swimming:

Canoe Slalom: 4 events.
Swimming: 34 events.

i mean, is it really necessary to have a 4x100m medley relay, 4x100m freestyle relay, 4x200 freestyle relay (all for both men and women) surely those events could be cut to allow us to do C1W/teams? or does it have to be within the same sport (which is impossible, what do they expect us to drop, K1M?)

carealto

Post by carealto » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:34 pm

And what about cycling (OK Great Britain do well in it but..) do we really need all those track events.

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:03 pm

Canoe Slalom: 4 events.
Swimming: 34 events.

i mean, is it really necessary to have a 4x100m medley relay, 4x100m freestyle relay, 4x200 freestyle relay (all for both men and women) surely those events could be cut to allow us to do C1W/teams? or does it have to be within the same sport (which is impossible, what do they expect us to drop, K1M?)
Globally there is greater participation numbers in competitive swimming

Dont try and cut other sports just because you happen to not be interested in them - lets try and up the number of paddlers who can compete!! If before Sydney there were more as someone has already stated then lobbying the IOC and the ICF would be favorite. Pester power usually works.

A swim coach!

alldaypaddler

Post by alldaypaddler » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:44 pm

another quick one - why was lee valley built, rather than using new courses such as cardiff or tees? was it not possible to use those?

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Why not just cut the sports which don't rely on people, ie. Equestrianism