GB Selection Policy

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
SilverSurfer

Re: GB Selection Policy

Post by SilverSurfer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:02 pm

JJayes I like the idea, it's simple, straightforward and removes any discretion being applied etc. However, I can't see the IP going for it on the grounds of cost - they would have no get out of jail card without the LV race to curb their costs by hoping paddlers don't make the percentages. Which two home nations are going to give up their selection races ? Scotland won't, and after the u-turn of the rotational policy this year by Scotland, I can't see Wales/England conceding their races.

lesf

Post by lesf » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:57 pm

Apologises for side tracking this discussion briefly:
Mummsie wrote:As for spreading the races out - the slalom committee have asked previously for clubs to run races at specific times to do just that but at the end of the day if the clubs won't do this for whatever reason we are at their mercy. much is to do with prohibitive cost of water beyond April. It is however pointless having any races from mid July until the first weekend in August as clubs have problems with manpower because of holidays and attendence levels would be far from the optimum level.
I keep reading that no one want to run a Prem in the summer (including in the latest committee minutes), but the application to run one in June this year on the Washburn was rejected. As a sport we need to decide what we compromise on - event costs, when events run or the water we run them on.

Side tracking over - I have no strong view on junior selection, other than well done all and I wish I was young enough to enter!

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:01 pm

Depending on the result of the little vote North of Hadrians wall in September, Scotland might cease to be an issue in this respect....

lesf

Post by lesf » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:57 pm

PeterC wrote:Depending on the result of the little vote North of Hadrians wall in September, Scotland might cease to be an issue in this respect....
That could add a new can of worms for planning the managed calendar - an England and Wales calendar. Plus have to have an international entry to race in Scotland . . .

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:30 pm

PeterC wrote:Depending on the result of the little vote North of Hadrians wall in September, Scotland might cease to be an issue in this respect....
I object! Some of that bit above Hadrians wall is ours - hands off!!

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:22 am

Its alright BaldockBabe - you can keep Kielder forrest!

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:43 pm

Peter

Between Kielder Forest and Berwick there lies a large area of England known as 'God's own country' - not just because that's where I come from ...

(Watch Rory Stewart on Sunday night)

John

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:26 pm

Ye shall be banned to the muppet show :P
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:42 pm

Thanks for the geography lesson John. That part of Northumberland is indeed a beautiful place but was treated by the Romans as part of the wild North. Since I come from God's own country, namely Yorkshire, I must take exception to your categorisation. I have no wish to sever connections with my homeland and thus hope that we all remain as good UK citizens. Apologies to any others that I have upset with my use of Hadrians wall to illustrate a point but it is in reality when I personally feel I am back in England once I have crossed it whether in the west or the east.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:13 pm

BBC 2 at 20:00 tonight may help...