Age Categories for the 2020/21 Racing Season

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Princi

Re: Age Categories for the 2020/21 Racing Season

Post by Princi » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Individuals, rightly so, will need to make up their own minds on what they are and are not comfortable doing; volunteering/not volunteering, competing/not competing, travelling/not travelling etc.
My daughter is back football training with a full squad, i’m back coaching, my 5 a side football resumes next week. My son Zak (slalom paddler) is back wake boarding and was at a test event on Sunday with a Pro demonstration event today (top athletes & sponsors from Germany attending). So, yes, sport at a local level is back up and running with plenty of volunteers back doing what they enjoy, albeit within a different environment to normal.
I urge the committee to u-turn the decision on running the season over two years so that all the issues this is creating can be put to bed and everyone can focus on how Slalom gets back up and running.
However, if there is no support for events from the timing team, section judges, jury members, committee members etc. then publish that information and give a timescale for when these key people are prepared to consider helping again. Potential organisers of events (HPP & S&S have already suggested putting on an open, JimW has made reference to a Junior Champoinships) also need to be spoken to directly as they will understand the viability of running an event and the support available from within their club.
“Keep things simple” and we can all get the sport back up and running.

Mike Mitchell

Post by Mike Mitchell » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:20 pm

So everyone keeps posting, Keep things simple and then giving lots of options for debate.
The Comity have lots to think about, decisions to make, just so we can run competitive events for everyone safely.
They are meeting this evening and considering the best options to get Slaloms running safely.
Football and Rugby may possibly be getting going again but at the end of the Day the important thing is to run events Safely.

So to keep things simple as I see it.

1. The decision has been made for a Two year season. [ thats the best decision in my opinion]
2 There can be No changes to rules mid season. [ So No need to count your votes as you won't need them]
3. Last year Juniors have missed out but there is not a lot that can be done about that, as Birthdays didn't get canceled.

Open Events.
I am considering running a series of 2 or 3 Open handicapped events on Symonds Yat.
Probably starting about 1st/2nd Oct.
Free of charge, you can just turn up on the Day and have free practice and then 2 timed runs.
Timing by Stop Watch and 1 Judge. No Protests and results on Line after the event.
Full details to follow.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:38 pm

Nice one Mike.

I'd be up for that.

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:53 pm

Mike Mitchell wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:20 pm
So everyone keeps posting, Keep things simple and then giving lots of options for debate.
Everyone sees things differently so what is simple to one leaves gaping holes for another. It was ever this :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike Mitchell wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:20 pm
Open Events.
I am considering running a series of 2 or 3 Open handicapped events on Symonds Yat.
Probably starting about 1st/2nd Oct.
Free of charge, you can just turn up on the Day and have free practice and then 2 timed runs.
Timing by Stop Watch and 1 Judge. No Protests and results on Line after the event.
Full details to follow.
I suspect there will be a need to limit numbers on site - even come October! If you decide you want to set up online entry to allow pre-booking (even if last minute) so that you can keep and eye on how many you are expecting, then let me know. I'm sure I can fiddle around to allow free entry for all and we should be able to create some time slots so that people can book as to whether they will come in morning or afternoon, say.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

JimW

Post by JimW » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:33 pm

Princi wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm
However, if there is no support for events from the timing team, section judges, jury members, committee members etc. then publish that information and give a timescale for when these key people are prepared to consider helping again. Potential organisers of events (HPP & S&S have already suggested putting on an open, JimW has made reference to a Junior Champoinships) also need to be spoken to directly as they will understand the viability of running an event and the support available from within their club.
There has been nothing really new to discuss for a while, but the committee have been talking to race organisers, the last time they contacted us there was still a hope for being able to run open events in the autumn, although the way things are going that is beginning to look less feasible every week, particularly on a national level (as would be required for a junior champs) due to the diverging strategies througout the home nations. It was just an idea that if there is an option for a nationwide open, maybe it would be a good idea to make it a junior champs.

For now it is great to see most of the paddlers back in training, albeit in small groups (which is not a bad thing). It is also interesting to note how the paddlers have changed/grown over the last few months, and good to see how many of the core paddlers in our and local clubs are still keen.