Senior Selection Policy

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Nicky

Post by Nicky » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:38 pm

Just having a quick look at the selection policy, isn't it illegal to discriminate on the grounds of age? i.e specifically saying that if you're over 30, you have no potential... It doesn't effect me, with my boyish good lucks, but could effect others, i.e campbell?

I understand that it is the reserve boat, but all might not go well at selection. It's not really a gripe, just not sure how legal it is with all of the age discrimination regulations that came into effect recently...

Anyone got any thoughts?

Kazz

Post by Kazz » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:36 pm

Yes Nicky I would fully agree that there seems to be a discrimination on the grounds of age in the 2008 policy document, whilst it may not affect you it will affect your brother who has made significant continuing improvements this season and will be up there to compete for the 'wildcard' place next year!! How is the Slalom committee going to work this one out????

phatboy

Post by phatboy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:36 pm

Ye id say u wer ageing a little nicky iv noticed wrinkles!!

jokes

i personally think that age restrictions are a joke!! If you look at the canoe world series rankings there are about 4 or 5 athletes in each categories top 10 that are 30 and over! Wot does putting in an age restriction bring to the sport other than a bad name??

further thoughts?
Phatty!

Train2Win

Post by Train2Win » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:43 pm

Realistically speaking the chances of any such legal action succeeding against a governing body in sport are far from guarenteed and will be very expensive for those concerned.

As for the rules, they do seem somewhat strange as surely are reserve boat if they have qualified the spot should go regardless of age. After all, Ferazzi got a bronze in Sydney when he was well into his 30s.

David Backhouse

Post by David Backhouse » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:01 pm

There was a similar problem with the Dutch selection rules last year. The rules were harder for people over the age of 26. The Dutch Canoe Association has a Disciplinary Committee though, so Michael vd Boogaard, who was on the team in 2006, but over 26, put in a complaint. The Disciplinary Committee consulted with a lawyer and ruled that it was indeed discrimination and illegal.
(For the Slalom Committee to then decide to get rid of all the rules, also didn’t seem right though)

I don’t know if the BCU has a Disciplinary Committee, but I’d expect so. Otherwise there’s the SDRP. I don’t reckon you’d need to go to court.

katonas

Post by katonas » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:04 pm

David Backhouse wrote:I don’t know if the BCU has a Disciplinary Committee, but I’d expect so.

Maybe the BCU Sports Management Committee could help.

On a different track, it seems ageist (or something-ist) not to consider DV paddlers in the Veteran National Champion award.
DV+V rankings ???

Bus Driver

Post by Bus Driver » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:06 pm

Far be it for me to make any accusations here, but surely the selection criteria may exclude a potential medalist. Names keep coming to mind such as FERRAZZI, HILGERTOVA, SADILOVA......................"There is many a good tune played on an old fiddle" ask "canadian paddler"! (sorry Colin) :)

Anne

Post by Anne » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:09 am

The senior selection policy went out earlier in the year, around Easter time for consultation with no comment re this then.

Please remember the Slalom Committee do not write selection policies although they do put in their view points. The policy is proposed by the professionals and after much discussion AND public consultation the International Panel on which one Slalom Comittee member sits, approves it. They do listen to and act on competitors opinions, particularly if there are a number of comments on one aspect.

Anne

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:28 pm

I didn't see the draft that was open for consultation as I'd have raised the issue then...

I don't have any issue with the process or in fact the rule itself, but from a purely legal perspective, I don't think that it can be there.

Lets hope that it doesn't come into play...

John

Post by John » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:26 am

I've noticed that the draft selection policy for 2010 still contains a maximum age of 30 for senior team reserves. It is still a draft policy, so what is the process to have this rule removed/discussed before the policy becomes final?

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:35 pm

There is many a good tune played on an old fiddle"

sigh. . . . if only. . . . .

Too much double bass rather than fiddle these days, and not enough boat time. Of course if I stood a chnace of being reserve boat it would be different.......

I seem to remember similar discussions in previous years, with the bottom line being that the team selection is not ageist, reserve boat is specified as a development position, so the policy is acceptable. But that could be al zeimer again.

Back in the day, when I was doing something or other on the committee, we tried to put policy out for comment, but no matter where we put it someone quoted hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and accused us of publishing it on a distant star, down dark steps with no lights, in a locked filing cabinet. . . (or however the quote goes). As a sport we really must try to find some better way of ensuring that all affected get teh communications, without breaking the bank by posting things to all who may concevably be interested.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points