History of Slalom Boats - can anyone help add to this list...

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
davebrads

Post by davebrads » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:59 am

Dave Royle wrote:No mention of Arrowcraft boats

Flyte which had three seams I seem to recall.
I'm reasonably sure that the Flyte was a Pyranha design, Arrowcraft eventually modified it so that it could be made conventionally with two seams, but still few bought it.

I was only talking about this boat this weekend, I remember it being used on the graveyard by Melvyn(? can't remember his surname, not even sure if it was Melvyn) when Richard Fox was winning everything, and he beat Foxy by 2 seconds, but then said that he wouldn't be using it again as it was too unpredictable. To this day I don't understand the logic.

andya

Post by andya » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:13 am

Spiderman wrote:Anyone up for a retro race at an event in whatever 4m they still have kicking around? 210 long Mitchwood or Kober wooden blades too? I think the main reason for them being so long was to be able to reach the surface from the height of the super bouyant kayaks! lol

PP

Wow, thanks for all the info guys. Wifee was hogging the laptop last night, so I'll try to make sense of all the input, and update the list tonight.

As for your idea Spiderman .. Retro slalom I'm up for it! Got a Electra81 and 210 cm Gees with wooden tips raring to go. Would have to be on a more modest course, as the boat (and paddler) are a lot more pourous and "floppy" than it used to be. Don't think I'd get it down HPP or Ty in one piece ...
Andy
(D1 K1 1981, D2 C1&C2 2010)

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:27 pm

[ADVERT] If there is interest, we can have a special 'old rules' class at the Proteus Winter Slalom on 8th November, a one day fun event, informal, and not too hard a course[/advert]

Interested?
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

andya

Post by andya » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:00 pm

jjayes wrote:In 1975 Prijon came up with the Perfekt, made in the UK by Gaybo, it was probably the biggest jump forward in slalom boat design ever. It was basically a 3.5 meter boat with very big spikes. Unfortunately people were hurt by it,
A good add on subject would be to work out what boats descended for what. I know of only two designs that have not come directly come from a previous boats.
Wasn't the really pointy one the Meister80? Long time ago now!

Remember sitting at the top of the eddy at Hambledon (we may have been sharing it Jim), in fear as a one of those spikes came off the top wave sideways at me at speed ... the spike went over the front deck rather than through my legs ...

The evolution of boats would be a grrrrreat subject Jim (if you can get away without libel...), would love to hear about that ... start the post!

==================

@ the Krakatoa comments, yep I remember the first Cosmic I got into and we couldn't believe how low it was. Was it the "Cosmic Interceptor?" or was there and earlier Cosmic between that and the Atomic/Stilleto.

===================

Lastly I think I've fully updated the first post. Hope I got it right, please tell me if not!

Still lots of gaps and in particular a LOT of dates missing. Do you remember?
Andy

carboncraft

Post by carboncraft » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:40 pm

The realy pointy one was the Perfekt, i had one and if i used it on the swimming pool (as i did) i had to put a ball on each end to just in case, it was like a polo boat with points on, i sware Gaybo cut the points off rounded theneds amd made it into a polo boat, one of the local teams had a set

jhall

Post by jhall » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:12 am

I think this is right:
Gaybo
Reflector came out in 79
Dominator in 80
Dominator 81 in 81
Dominator 82 in 82
Dominator 84 in 84
Lettmann Plus in 1980/81
another in 83/84
C2
Synchron 1980/81
Duo 1982
C1
Supermax 1978?
Cudamax 1981
Batmax 1983
note: It took the C1 designs about a year to become available in the uk
Pyranna
Elite Equipe
Equipe SL, SM, SH, CL, CM, CH, Mini Equipe and Equipe SLK
C1 Storm and C2 Thunder

andya

Post by andya » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:11 am

Many thanks for the info .. I've included it all in the first post along with a large number of updates from others.

As always if you remember anything more (especially dates), please post it up!
Andy

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:39 pm

I paddled a Pyrhana Silver Shadow in the early 80's. I loved that boat! Then I had an Equipe which is still on the circuit somewhere.
Life is what happens when you're making other plans.

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:40 am

Dave, I think the Melvyn you are referring to would have been Melvyn Swallow. He was one of the few who would snatch the lead whenever Richard failed to nail the course.

CP, Would you find judges who could get their heads around the old points system? lol. I doubt you would go so far as to change the pole colours mate! But it would be pretty good to see a selection of vintage boats (and paddlers!) on the water :-) It would be a bit like a vintage car gathering! With all the talk of floppy boats and suchlike, the winner may be the one who does not sink! lol. I didnt realise the winter season started so soon.....I would be up for bringing an old boat or two. Count me in for now and if you get enough "takers" for the idea, I will be there to paddle both old and new (same old engine in both though! lol)

PP
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

frontman2

Post by frontman2 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:19 am

Pyrahna Meran K1 circa 1984 'ish. A Prem 2 for small people. Great boat.

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:03 pm

I saw a Virago at sowerby bridge the other day! It and the Kick we made by Technique!

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:57 pm

More likely to have been Melvyn Jones. Richard, Melvyn and Andy Gladwin (Spike) trained together at Stone at the time.

Melvyn Swallow was a River Racer from Chester, I think.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:32 pm

It was Melvyn Jones. But Melvyn Swallow did race at quite a high level in Slalom as well as the top in WWR.

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:34 am

Dave R...you just ain't old enough mate! lol

PP
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

RussJohnson

Post by RussJohnson » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:42 am

Ive noticed a manufacturer missing off the list, but i cant remember the name of the boats they made.

Radical Moves. it was the first slalom boat i paddled.
Russell Johnson
HALIFAX Canoe Club - West Yorkshire Canoe Club