Development of Slalom in the South East - Development of Slalom in the South East

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Terryg

Post by Terryg » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:57 pm

There used to be a regular Div 4 slalom at the country park (run by Bristol CC I believe), don't remember a top level event being run on the Dart.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:07 pm

I think Deb Pinniger has been training there.

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:31 pm

my only evidence is that a vast number of those i knew and saw competing and helping in and around the sport 10 years ago are still knocking around in one form or another. Having said that a lot of the juniors seem to have gone missing from my era and just after ???

Flipper

Post by Flipper » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:53 pm

It would be brill to run a slalom by the Country Park or at Head Weir in Exeter. Maybe an Open to start with, a demo event to reawaken the paddlers down there and put the sport into the public minds a bit, ahead of 2012.

Anne

Post by Anne » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:03 am

Go for it!! how about a short course Div 4 - can apply for that 1 month before and doesn't have to be on the calendar, would be great! It was just the kind of thing we were discussing at the English council meeting a few weeks ago, your regional rep (name escapes me but lives in Exeter!) was there and keen to develop slalom & raise awarenes both before the olympics and following on from it. :D

Flipper

Post by Flipper » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:22 pm

Hi Anne
Actually its outside my region (SE) but a couple of our local activists have moved or are moving to Devon......
The idea of a short course Div4 is excellent, get paddlers in boats and trying it. Do we need to get an Open onto the managed calendar? If so, too late. But we do need support from some capable athletes to showcase what's possible.
There is quite a little fleet of suitable sized slalom boats around here, club and regional resources, both SE and S. So no probs there.
Venue and access needs sorting, I'll ask some contacts. Personally I'd prefer Head Weir - better spectator value, access from AS Watersports, Exeter Canoe club for changing, could use the whole flow for the Open and cut out the lumpy bits for D4.
Lines, gates etc. need sorting
Hand timing, judging - should be do-able.

Anne

Post by Anne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi No you can also run an open at a short course Div 4, the more people paddling the better, the more events like this that can be put on the more slalom is seen , especially when they are in viewable areas!! Good luck with it!! The SW definitely need some revived races!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:20 pm

Go for it, there are some good paddlers in the area who should come and showcase how to do it. If you give us dates, the rest of us will try to come down and help run as well.
Publicity, new paddlers, old friends, good water nearby whats not to enjoy? :D
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Anne

Post by Anne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:45 pm

Yup if it is my weekend off and I am at home in Somerset will definitely be there!!

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:28 am

Canadian PAddler wrote:The plan is to have a calendar of events applied for in time, with a list of the events applied for between the managed calendar date and 1st November. making it easy to see the changes requested.
I agree with Nick, I do not see the letter as just about the calendar for 2011, but relating to more fundamental issues relating to the sport, and the management going forward.
Just the sort of things a STRATEGY PANEL shoudl be considering - see the most recent committee minutes, we are proposing to set up such a group to look at the sport strategically, (this year focus was tactical and funding).

ANyone volunteering as Strategic plannign co-ordinator? :D
plan is to have a calendar of events applied for in time, with a list of the events applied for between the managed calendar date and 1st November. making it easy to see the changes requested.

does this mean Shep automatically reinstated on main calendar since application was in on time :-)
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:11 pm

Post deleted

Now dosed up on lemsip and had some sleep so not quite so touchy :)
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:33 pm

More into hot toddies myself - the whisky does far more good than a lemsip could ever manage :D
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!