Coaching Advice

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:01 pm

This is a bit off-topic, but I've seen some great coaching advice on here and hoped to tap into that rich vein. As part of my winter training I've been using a rowing machine doing 10km distances to build stamina. A work colleague also rows and asked me to compete with him at the World Indoor Rowing Championships next Feb. I wasn't that interested but then found out it's in Boston Ma and that our employer had agreed to cover all the costs of 2 entries. Also, there's no entry standard!!

So, the race distance is 2000 meters and I need to get to a time of about 6mins 45 Secs not to look stupid. So how should a 43 year old train? How can we optimise energy use? What mix of distance or sprint training should we do? Any other tips or pointers? Also, are there any good reference books that will help? We can both do 10kms in under 40 mins so have a reasonable foundation.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Slapdash Sal

Post by Slapdash Sal » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:23 pm

So is the demise of canoeing for you, Paul?

Sal :(

PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:39 pm

No way Sally- I'm just free-loading on a trip to the States! I'm sure I'll still be able to amaze and awe with my paddling prowess!! Thinking about it though, if I row down a course I may well go quicker!!

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:25 am

Paul, from what limited knowledge I have of rowing it seems that you are already building on the stamina side which is good, I would look at the 'explosive side' to get a good start and get up to speed quickly so you can maintain the pace using your stamina as well.

I am sure that someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon. I do believe Mr Sturgess has quite a lot of experience with rowing? (sorry if I am wrong John)

Cheers

Graeme
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

DavidDickson

Post by DavidDickson » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:35 pm

Have a look on the Concept2 site - there is loads of stuff there on training

http://concept2.co.uk/