Repairs

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
James Prowse

Post by James Prowse » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:11 pm

Hi all

I just have a few questions about boat repairs and materials ect.

Firstley there is a slight hole in the seam around the front of my boat that can stay there but lets in a small amount of water, is it worth a patch or will a blob of somthing do the trick?

Secoundley the seat is begining to ware out the hull of the boat and so I want to patch it, so what material should i use and what resin, lastley, ware can I get it all?

Thanks for any help

James

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:05 pm

I recently used P40 fibre-glass resin from Halfords about £7 a small tin. Take a look at P38 too

http://www.halfords.com/webapp....ngId=-1

I'm sure somebody else can advise something else

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:40 pm

What you need is some two part epoxy laying up resin, some kevlar seam tape, and some carbon/kevlar cloth. I have used CFS in the past, but they only stock kevlar tape in 50mm width which is a bit too wide.

Rob Holdway at Staffs and Stone used to sell narrow seam tape by the metre.

General Flangecustard

Post by General Flangecustard » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:32 pm

I use west systems epoxy. It is available from most ships chandlers. Narrow seam tape is available from Dave Radmore of cool blue canoes and he may do carbon/kevlar cloth too.
There used to be a quite good bit on the double dutch website about doing boat repairs.
I would not recomend using polyester resin(fastglass) unless your boat was made using this.Epoxy is fine no matter what your boat was made from.

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:40 pm

Alternatively, let a pro fix it for you. Dave Brown of Polo connections does repairs, a place in Barton Le Clay Bedfordshire and, of course, super helpful and very cost effective Jim Mac at Nomad who did such a great fix on my boat :-) Can't do with getting all that shticky shtuff all over my fingers! Yucks!

PP :-)
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:31 pm

We also do proffesional repairs, we stock all the resin and materials based in Yorkshire if that helps?

Cheers

Graeme
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

carboncraft

Post by carboncraft » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi James, if you can get your boat up to me, St Neots (just north of Bedford on the A1) I can put a patch under your seat, i have loads of offcuts and gallons of epoxy.