Grandtully - Grandtully

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
jjayes

Post by jjayes » Tue May 04, 2010 3:59 pm

What do people think about trying to get something done to the rock at Grandtully?

GlennRoberts

Post by GlennRoberts » Tue May 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Having been one of a handful of people who saw the incident unfold, I know that unless some action is taken it will happen again at a variety of high river levels. Have event organisers spoken to those people who know the correct circumstance that led up to the pinning?

In my opinion it would be a serious error of judgement if no action is taken to reduce the risk of this newly discovered pinning situation.

From the perspective of somebody who has helped coaching division 2 competitors at this site, with two children that leant their initial whitewater skills at Grandtully, will there be a reduction in the value of this site for skill development unless some action is taken? It would be a sad day for the sport, if natural rivers are totally replaced by concrete courses.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Wed May 05, 2010 1:51 am

As one of the event organisers at Tully I have heard a number of comments regarding the rock / island at Tully ranging from do nothing to blow it up and a lot in between all with reasoned argument.

The consideration of the tragic events is still as I understand it ongoing both formally and informally and may yet produce 'suggestions' as to action that could or should be taken. It is taken seriously and has not been dismissed as an issue.

It is a natural feature and is located relatively close to the bridge and in the middle of the community. The land does not belong to clubs or indeed the SCA. Anything would / will be complex.

I am not sure that this forum is appropriate for discussion of something as complex as this. Clearly some action might contribute as part of the healing process which for many is still ongoing but the best way to take things forward would I believe be for comments / ideas / suggestions to be channeled up through clubs to the BCU or SCA and in particular their slalom committees.

I am pleased to note that training on Tully has continued and clubs are planning to run racing there later this year and indeed into next year.

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Wed May 05, 2010 12:31 pm

As someone who lives very close to Grandtully and involved in slalom and other river activities I think it is too soon to start speculating about what is to be "done" about "magnetic" - the rock folk outside of the area refer to as boatbreaker.

All the emergency services, BCU, SCA and SEPA are discussing possible action.

The sequence of events that led to this tragic accident were unique and if you talk to folk who have been paddling at Grandtully on a regular and frequent basis over the last few decades - that is local slalom paddlers, rafters, open canoeists, wild water paddlers, etc in short folk who know the river and it's eccentricities exceedingly well - nothing even approaching this terrible incident has been known to have happened in living memory.

I agree with Peter that this is NOT the forum to be discussing such things as it could be very distressing to others.