Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:05 pm

Anyone know if it's ever included any slalom? Or if it could or why it doesn't

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:06 pm

Games that is

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:15 pm

I understand that it did. Canadian Paddler paddled C2 for Scotland...

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:23 pm

OK heres the skinny on discipline inclusion as I understand it

The Commonwealth Games sports divide into 3 three main types: core sports, optional sports, and recognised sports.

All 10 core sports must be included in the Games programme, while the host nation may choose to include up to 7 optional sports.

"Recognised" sports are sports which have been approved by the CGF but are deemed to need further growth before their inclusion

Canoeing is an approved sport but hasn't been included in the CG programme ever as far as I can make out.

Core Sports are:Athletics · Badminton · Boxing · Hockey · Lawn bowls · Netball · Rugby sevens · Squash · Swimming · Weightlifting

Optional Sports are: Archery · Basketball · Cycling · Diving · Gymnastics · Judo · Rowing · Shooting · Synchronised swimming · Table tennis · Tennis · Triathlon · Wrestling

Recognised sports are: Fencing · Ten-pin bowling · Water polo, canoeing

Only Athletics, boxing, diving and swimming have been represented in all 20 CG to date

Some sports have only been represented sporadically over the years and sometimes it does depend on the host nations facilities - so I wouldn;t have expected to see Canoeing in Dehli because of the lack of faciltiies

I understand teh BCU were out in Dehli lobbying for inclusion so here's hoping!

bet you wish you;d never asked now! - Its only because I am involved in other sports which are CG disciplines :D

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:36 pm

That clears it up a bit

Lawn bowls as a core sport gave me a bit of a giggle.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Canoing was a demo event in the 81 Scottish Commonwealth games and the following Australian ones, not (as far as I know) a full part of the games
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Now I dont think you should take the mick out of lawn bowls. It is one of the few sports where the young and the more mature can compete on a level (forgive the pun) playing field. It is also a truly commonwealth discipline with all commonwealth member nations having a national authority - which is why its a core sport.

Also its VERY popular and as a Scot (we have the World Bowls Centre in Edinburgh - it shares accomodation with the SCA I believe :D ) I have to stand up for it

Not one of the sports I'm involved in but I was staggered to discover that it is played in over 40 countries

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:14 pm

I think the demo was 1986 at the Edinburgh CGs

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:12 pm

Demo was definately 1981, just after the Bala Worlds, with follow up at Brisabane, I seem to remember the English contingent for Brisbane was Dave Rouse. The Tully 81 event may have been as a precurser to get the demo at Brisbane as most commonwealth countries were in the UK for the Bala Worlds.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:46 am

:D Yes a demo event was held at Tully in 1981 my eldest son was a reserve in K1M for Englamd, I believe Len Smith was Team Manager. ??? Jim

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Canadian PAddler wrote:I seem to remember the English contingent for Brisbane was Dave Rouse.
Would that be Dave Ruse author of Canoe and Kayak Games? I bumped into him this summer when I was surfing at a small cove in Cornwall.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:42 pm

It was indeed. No funding in those days, and he was the only one who wanted to spnd the money! :D

Anne

Post by Anne » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:02 am

yup recent negotiations have taken place,although not sure how they went & Paul Owen was out in India supporting out cause. Where is the next?? anyone know???

ElaineF

Post by ElaineF » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Glasgow

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:52 pm

Canoeing is not part of the programme for Glasgow

Demos at the Games have only involved Sprint as they are tied in with Rowing, where one is proposed - both must be proposed which may be a bit of a double edged sword.

A Comonwealth Slalom Champs was run in Scotland at Tully following the 81 world champs in Wales. A follow up was arranged for Australia circa 83. However lack of funding has meant that they were poorly attended and never really sustainable.

All the Home Nations are Members of the Commonwealth Canoe Federation, unfortunately they only meet at ICF events and representation is undertaken by BCU. In the past BCU have been more concerned with ICF/ECA developments and politics with the CCF a very poor third.

The last time I heard Paul speak up for a CCF event it was drowned out by the road noise coming through the sealed double glazing - don't hold your breath for BCU lobbying!

CGF adopt similar requirements to OGC, they require a minimum representation participating within the overall membership. Slalom has certainly improved since inclusion in the Olympics, but not sure if they have sufficient to dislodge the core sports.

CD