Centralisation - Stolen stuff

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Neil H

Post by Neil H » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:27 pm

Anybody think there is any mileage in something like this in UK.

As far as I can tell it currently comes down to postings on forums etc

http://www.marinerkayaks.com/mkhtml/stolendb.htm

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:05 pm

There is one on UKRGB...

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:01 pm

a central list? gonna look now

ukkayaker

Post by ukkayaker » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:22 am

It is something that I could write a script to do should there be a need. It could be searchable on location/boat manufacturer.

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:42 am

I looked at UKRGB and it appears to be a list which you scroll through - Is that what you meant Munchkin?
I don't go on that site much
It also appeared to be predominately plastic (which is probably because there are more of them nicked)
I think I initially meant that a database, like that American thing could be useful and easier to search. The American thing seems to contain loads of useful stuff so I suppose it could be modelled on that and tweaked. Showing my ignorance is there capacity to include pics

As you say is there an need?

People who nick things dog me off so if they can be hammered by a bit of cohesion it'd make me happy.

Also looking at UKRGB I noticed some continental theft and wondered if some link with other european canoe association would be an option

katonas

Post by katonas » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:59 pm

How about an electronic tag of some sort ? I've no idea how big/expensive/waterproof/readable they are, but maybe they could be put under a seat or even a patch of carbon fibre. Doesn't deter someone from stealing the kayak in the first place though.

I wonder how many paddlers are locking their boats up. I use 2 systems - cable with ball on end to go inside vehicle, and cable with two loops to go around end of kayak. Not sure if there are any other methods.

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:04 pm

katonas wrote:How about an electronic tag of some sort ? I've no idea how big/expensive/waterproof/readable they are, but maybe they could be put under a seat or even a patch of carbon fibre. Doesn't deter someone from stealing the kayak in the first place though.

I wonder how many paddlers are locking their boats up. I use 2 systems - cable with ball on end to go inside vehicle, and cable with two loops to go around end of kayak. Not sure if there are any other methods.
https://www.immobilise.com/view.php?sta ... &product=7

I have these stickers on my boat. I have not only glued them in but have put a layer of resin over the top and some micro-dots. If nothing else I hope if they are found or stolen and an attempt is made to re-sell them I might get them back...

katonas

Post by katonas » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Thanks Munchkin, you are the fountain of all knowledge. Great site - have registered and watched the video. I wonder if the bike tag could go under a seat. I think I'll buy some of the stickers and probably the immobi dot marking kit. Is the kit easy to use ? Maybe Nick could put a link to the site on this website.

katonas

Post by katonas » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:09 pm

katonas

Post by katonas » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:15 pm

Perhaps we should all take photos of our kayaks, and ask Nick to post a pic of any stolen.