NO TENT CAMPING AT TEESIDE - Pan Celtic & Div 1 weekend

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
sbm

Post by sbm » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:57 pm

See my rant below..

Just a point to note. After I think 2 years (from memory) of waiting for the new improved slalom site to re-open; the adjacent campsite has decided it will refuse TENT camping the week before the event. ie, they close the park season for tents the w/e before.

I just can't believe the sort-sightedness of this move on the site's behalf and it's enormously inconvenient. That's not to mention that given the travel costs down from Scotland for a single ranking race, I hadn't planned on paying for 2 nights accommodation (ooops I said I wouldn't mention that).

Did the organisors talk with the Campsite at all? Today I did discuss it with a man at the site by phone but they weren't for changing their mind !

Ridiculous.

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:11 pm

I dont know if this is any good?

Prissick Caravan Park
Marton Road Middlesbrough Cleveland
TS1 1QP
Phone : Tel: 01642 30020

about 4.5 miles away form the white water site - I think! :p

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:31 pm

Try Metro Inns. I've stayed there when it was a Formule 1, and it was basic but OK.

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:17 pm

Problem, Dave: some people do not like staying in the same place as me. Can't imagine why?

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:56 pm

I can't see how this is the organiser's fault - the race was sort of dumped on Tees Tigers at the last minute with the change in venue.

Never mind the camping - what about the fact that the course is still a construction site with no access to the general public.

Do we know if the race is definitely taking place yet for all those who have booked accommodation?
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

sbm

Post by sbm » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks for the tip on the Inn, we'll give it a go I guess.

Mark - I wasn't trying to "blame" the organisors; but more worrying are your hints that things are still not settled. Does anyone know any more facts?

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:31 am

Mark Shaw wrote:Do we know if the race is definitely taking place yet for all those who have booked accommodation?
why wouldn't it be?

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:16 am

I'd be surprised if it isn;t on (although stranger things have happened) but if you go to the tees Active Website

http://www.tbiwwc.com/course-timetable.html

On the time table it has the 7th and 8th October down as a closed event - so assume that's us :D

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:03 pm

hope so as booked accommodation - non-refundable - I'd say if it wasn't guaranteed it shouldn't have been advertised

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:36 pm

event is happening, fact

course is aconstruction site, but will be open for the race, fact

if it's not open for the public, the event will still happen regardless, fact

there are alternatives to camping, fact

Calum's mam has a pub about 9 miles away that has a camping ground attached, serves good food and is very accomodating. contact Sara on sara_vodka@yahoo.com

no one organising it has ever suggested that it won't be on, I suppose that it is probably the same people who suggested that the abbey race was going to be moved to the barrage for the sunday! The event will happen, start list and all of the usual stuff will be out in due course as is usual with such an event. The fact that the welsh race was cancelled is a pretty good sign that we're pretty confident that we have a suitable alternative.

Nicky

Slapdash Sal

Post by Slapdash Sal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:30 pm

Excellent news - Should be a good race.
Thanks to Tees for organising it.