Div 4 eligibility and harmonisation of rules

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
carealto

Post by carealto » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:39 pm

Canadian PAddler wrote:Unfortunately this means the website is wrong. :(
The rules are as per year book (plus errata) until changed at teh committe meeting after the ACM.
Of course - but it illustrates the need for change or clarification. People appear to expect the C1 and C2 rules to correspond, which they don't, and would probably find something like Steve's table for C2 entries (with an extension for C1) much clearer.

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:31 pm

carealto wrote:People appear to expect the C1 and C2 rules to correspond, which they don't
Why should they correspond? The rules for C1W and C1M differ in places so why wouldn't the rules for C1 and C2 differ?

They can't be exactly the same given that you will always be talking about 2 people not 1 person...

carealto

Post by carealto » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:21 pm

Nick has reworded the website form (http://www.canoeslalom.co.uk/emails/reinstatement.htm), but has asked me whether I can draft something simpler (which reflects the current rule B2.2).

I find the following areas are a bit "grey" in Rule 2.2 - does anyone have any thoughts?

1. What happens if the competitor is only ranked in C1 or C2 and wishes to enter K1. I presume that they may enter Division 4, irrespective of their ranking in any other discipline, as there appears to be no rule referring.

2. When promoted in their main discipline (eg K1), what is the concensus on whether there is an implied promotion in others. - for C1 the rule clearly says
Any Competitor wishing to compete in C1 and currently
ranked higher than Division 2 in any other category, must
compete in Division 3, unless it is considered more appropriate
for them to compete in a higher division, in which case,
application must be made to the Ranking Status Officer.

- this appears to say that implied promotion does apply in C1
As K1 and C2 are not mentioned in this respect, I assume that implied promotion only applies to C1 competitors and that C2 crews or K1 competitors who have entered division 4 at any time in the past may continue to do so. I understand that this may be very difficult to prove (even harder to disprove) if they competed some time ago - but it does seem to be what the rules say at the moment and as Seedy Paddler says
The rules are as per year book (plus errata) until changed at teh committe meeting after the ACM.

Have I missed anything in the rules?

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:47 pm

I think I have been insulted, I recognise my tryping, but I am not Seedy, (although my initials are CDW)

The rules relating to ranking are being rationalised and clean up for proposal to the ACM by a member of the committee. So I suggest that you do not spend too much time agonising over this - although this is all very useful to try and get the revision as simple/watertight as possible.

Personally I do not believe in implied promotion. Once you are ranked, you have to get promoted in each class individually, but that may be because I had not thought about it before.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

carealto

Post by carealto » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Canadian PAddler wrote:Personally I do not believe in implied promotion. Once you are ranked, you have to get promoted in each class individually, but that may be because I had not thought about it before.

Sorry for the incorrect attribution quote Canadian Paddler (and Seedy Paddler).

What happened to the rules being as per the year book? It appears that for C1, implied promotion is the order of the day!

I am pleased to hear that the rules are being tidied-up in this area. I will suggest that Nick sticks with his current wording, taken directly from the rules, as they stand.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:02 pm

Just not the way I read the rules. :( not saying right or wrong, just did not cross my mind. (befrore anyone else says it - would not have been far, and the idea would have been lonely...)
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:05 am

A word from me, regarding the website: I am not the font of all knowledge, and there is too much content for any of us to be sure that it is all 100% accurate and up to date. The website gets more accurate when people contact me to point out errors, so please do.