Late Entries & Judging

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Slow Paddler

Post by Slow Paddler » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:25 pm

I fully agree with the rule that if there aren't enough paddlers that the competitors may be called upon to judge.

However it seems to be the trend that Late entries are called upon rather than randomly selecting from all competitiors.

Late entries already face the punishment of costing extra to enter. Is it fair that they also are the selected ones to judge. Usually there is a good reason for entering late not just that they couldn't be bothered to send the entry on time, quite often it is difficult to find the time to race never mind judge as well.

If this group of paddlers are being singled out to judge, is it fair for the organiser to also keep the late entry fee?

Should it not be a fair system of randomly selected paddlers asked to judge?

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:46 pm

Given the other posts regarding how much extra work late entries are and how the late entry fee doesn't reflect this extra work I am all for putting the late entries into the judging pool before the others.

It's difficult for all to compete and judge that includes the other officials and organisers that do both so flipping your question round is it fair to make those that bother to enter on time to judge?

General Flangecustard

Post by General Flangecustard » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Have to agree with Munchkin. I have entered late on a number of occasions this year. I know this makes extra work for organisers so I feel it is fair to ask late entries to do a judging stint.

anna-lou

Post by anna-lou » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:58 pm

I understand that late entries cause hassle to the organiser but that is why there is a late entry fee. I feel that the individual that entered late has as much right as the other paddlers to focus on their race on race day.

If the late fee does not cover the hassle then maybe it should be got rid of for a better method ie judging is the punishment.

Personally i find it very difficult to plan 2 weeks ahead with trying to organise transport and knowing wether uni will allow me the time- work wise. This being the reason why i send a entry late if i do. Paddlers avoid it if they can.

Often if asked im sure parents would volunteer to judge before calling on competitiors.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:47 pm

I reckon on the 80/20 rule - the entries I received for the Serpents Tail came in on time, or at least only a couple of days late and before I sat down to process the entries, took me 3 hours to process. Late entries/email entries probably took me another 12 hours. So 80% of the entries gave me 20% of the work, and 20% of the entries gave me 80% of the work. On that basis the late fee should be £69.

So expecting late entries to do an hour of so of judging is fair recompense for the extra work they have given the organiser.

Not that I'm faultless in this regard though.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:40 pm

I have to agree with the other volunteers above who run events, late entries are a pain, they cause a lot of extra stress and hassle particularly on the day, they also regularly delay events (or at least make it a frantic rush) and mean start lists are either meaningless or change such that those who entered on time find their start times have moved. At some events it means money is spent on facilities that are not needed or facilities aren't sufficient to meet the sudden influx of paddlers.

In addition entries where the card has not been totally completed (you'd be amazed believe me) or have the wrong details on (yet again believe me it happens) or worst of all no payment cause a lot of extra work.

If anyone has to judge then personally I think its fair to pick those who entered late, and yes I've done it and to be honest the money isn't that much of a deterant but having to judge (which I'm happy to do when I'm not racing/coaching or in an emergency) is a deterant.

Clearly some paddlers like anna-lou have valid reasons for late entry and as such feel unfairly penalised which I can understand. However overall I think its a reasonable policy.

The actual answer is of course for more paddlers and parents to volunteer to judge as some events always struggle to get enough.

As paddlers I think we sometimes forget that the events are all run by volunteers who give up their own time and get no expenses, we should all do all we can to make that as painless as possible otherwise we risk losing volunteers and ultimately events.

And yes I'm guilty as much as anyone!