Garmin Satnav Files

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Mark Shaw

Garmin Satnav Files

Post by Mark Shaw » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:59 pm

Has anyone produced a set of files for Garmin satnavs or is planning on doing so? I noticed the post from Ken Trollope for TomTom devices but I suspect one or two others out there went for the option of free lifetime map upgrades from Garmin and are now finding that there isn't the same community who produce free to use satnav directions for this particular device as there is for TomTom.
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

Canadian Paddler

Re: Garmin Satnav Files

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Mark

There are freeware utilities out there to decode a TOMTOM POI file, showing the lat/long and name of the POI (ignore the number of Proteus POIs and do not look at old postings like: http://s397900707.websitehome.co.uk/php ... ?f=5&t=114 or you might doubt the person that set up the POI file, and then uploaded it to TOMTOM, but did not update it there as only Ken said he had downloaded a copy :lol: ).

There are then facilities to allow you to construct a GARMIN POI file - again free ware, so a + b = happiness for you. There seems to be some discussion over versions of Garmin POIs, I do not know, I use TomTom :D .

Good Luck
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Ken Trollope

Post by Ken Trollope » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:27 pm

I have edited most of mine so you end up in the right place and not gazing across the river ( Not sure about the Protus ones the Summer one looks ok).
you could try http://www.poieditor.com/poi_convert/ which should help you convert TomTom to Garmin.

Ken
If it is not on fire, it might be a software problem.

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:27 am

If no one else volunteers then I'll have a play once I've got all the C1W bibs out of the way
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:26 am

I did put a garmin one up on Pocket gps world but has expired. It was not entirely complete.

Will do again unless you beat me to it

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:29 pm

.CSV file posted on front page of UK Slalom web site - just need to use Garmin POI Loader to install it - I've checked the majority of sites for accuracy and will see how well the one for the Tryweryn works this Saturday.