Simply Slalom

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
jke

Simply Slalom

Post by jke » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:37 pm

This question is addressed to Ken in the first instance but anyone else chip in if they have an answer. I am running under Windows 7 and I have just installed Excel 97 to run the Simply Slalom macro. When I do Ctrl+Shift+r I get the following error message.
Run-time error '438':
Object doesn't support this property or method

I note that I had the same error message last year running v13.6.24 with Excel 97 under Windows XP (and raised it at the time). I then forgot about it because I went back to 13.5.5 and it ran OK.

I use Excel 97 because that is what I've got from the past. I normally use OpenOffice and the Simply Slalom macro doesn't run with that at all.

I don't know if anyone has any suggestions?
John Kent

jim croft

Re: Simply Slalom

Post by jim croft » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:59 pm

Hi John
Have you sent Ken an email direct, I think he is away at the moment but will pick up emails.
Jim

jke

Post by jke » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:06 pm

OK Jim will do. I did ask last year but in the end it went away.
John Kent

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Thu May 01, 2014 5:02 pm

I would expect that version of excel is way too old.

I would also assume Ken is using visual basic functionality that is available only in newer versions hence the error message you got.

I expect the answer is unfortunately to get a newer version of excel like 2010 (version 14).

Excel 97 (version 8 ) is after all at least 17 years old!

Using an old version of SS is not really a good idea as new versions implement new rules and fixes bugs, plus provide additional useful functionality.

It may be possible Ken can produce a version that will work with some features disabled but that might be a lot of work and he may not have excel 97 to try it either.

Duncan