Really boys? Put it away...

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
BaldockBabe

Really boys? Put it away...

Post by BaldockBabe » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:52 pm

As a sport do we really need to start considering creating and implementing new rules so that competitors of the male variety are aware of how to behave in public?

Urination in public places really is not acceptable. That means that it is not acceptable to have a piddle by the bridge at Lee Valley, along the footpath at Tully, against the trees at HPP etc... Not only do the rest of us really not want to see it but, from the point of view of the sport as a whole, these places are public areas where people are walking their families and gives us all a bad name. If the females are capable of using the toilets in changing rooms before they get to the start line I cannot comprehend why the males can't.

In fact, even my cat knows how to use a toilet properly. Yes, she is a female cat so that may explain it, but she is still a cat!
Last edited by BaldockBabe on Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BaldockBabe

Re: Really boys? Put it away...

Post by BaldockBabe » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:53 pm

P.S. I note that not all males act in this way, but a notable number unfortuantely do :-(

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:52 pm

OMG - really?

I have had to have words with paddlers in the past for stripping off in public in residential areas around the race venue (despite changing facilities being available) and also for peeing in public and we're not talking youngsters here all over 18! Some well over 18! I would have thought by now the message would have got through!

So in case anyone is unclear, urinating in public is at best a breach of public bye laws and is reportable for summons.

In many cases it is a breach of Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986 which can carry up to a level 3 fine - currently £1000

Mrs C P Paddler

Post by Mrs C P Paddler » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:11 pm

Well said Baldock Babe. Luckily for the one at Lee Valley this weekend the 2 ladies walking over the bridge at the time didn't look over the side!
These people are not giving the sport a good reputation let alone themselves. Maybe we should write something into the rules, but then again most of them have probably never read the rules. Sure there must be something in there about bringing the sport into disrepute by their actions. I personally would disqualify them from the event if caught even if it was a selection race.

Ken Trollope

Post by Ken Trollope » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:39 pm

Rule UK C40.2 could be used maybe a slight tweak at the ACM.

KenT
If it is not on fire, it might be a software problem.

jjayes

Post by jjayes » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:19 pm

I think that football may well be the route of the problem as I remember being told by our coach to "own the pitch". These guys may be adopting this tactic by literally marking their territory, It is also a big problem in otber sports even Paula Radcliffe (a female would you believe) did it in front of million on tv at the Olympics.

Hands up all who have never peeded in the bushes?

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:46 am

jjayes wrote:
Hands up all who have never peeded in the bushes?
Never in a public venue where there are toilets less than 100m away. Yes, up a mountian where there were no other facilities, away from the path and only when absolutely desparate.

jjayes

Post by jjayes » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:45 am

When you got to go, you got to go especially for the older males that were mentioned earlier in this post.
I would suggest a portaloo at the start of each race as it is important to be hydrated and is hard to judge accurately especially when nervous at a event and after a warm up.

I do realise there is a difference between the sex, s on this so it may be hard for women to understand.

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:31 pm

Um - I think the oldest Male paddler at Senior GB selection was 32 - LOL!

jjayes

Post by jjayes » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:52 pm

I did not think people over 32 were allowed to reprosent GB.

Are you sure it was not a judge peeing?

Mrs C P Paddler

Post by Mrs C P Paddler » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:29 pm

Absolutely NOT a Judge !!!!! They have more sense than to pee under the bridge in full view of the public and they would be offended at the suggestion that it was one of them. Besides it was definitely one of the younger paddlers in full paddling kit, I saw him ! Considering he had probably just come out of the changing room there was no excuse for his behaviour.

jjayes

Post by jjayes » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:56 am

I understand PEAK are working on some wet suit shorts that incorporate a nappy, that should alleviate the problem of exposing ones self while going!

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:54 pm

Some photos of the offenders might put them off....... If you are discrete and hidden in bushes, it is fine by me but it should certainly not be in a public place