Divisional re jig 2015

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Arrowcraft

Divisional re jig 2015

Post by Arrowcraft » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:04 pm

Now that practically everyone is in Div 1 and there are not enough race runs to go around I was told at the weekend that there may be a divisional re-jig at the end of this year. I was told that there are bunch of lower ranked prems coming down to div 1 and as many as 40 or 50 div 1's going up to prem and 15 C1's and 20 ladies...) as prem traces are not economically viable. Further, the bottom 30 in Div 1 are going down to Div 2.

I heard this from 3 different apparently credible sources, (although the numbers varied slightly)

Does anyone know what's going on?

djberriman

Re: Divisional re jig 2015

Post by djberriman » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:33 am

There are lots of rumours going around such as portable points will not be implemented. Perhaps the slalom committee should come out with a statement on its plans rather than allowing rumour and uncertainty.

On a similar note does anyone else find it strange that paddlers who apply for reranking but don't paddle don't get demoted, whereas someone who races say one race and gets 800 points does - this happened a couple of years ago. Why do those with zero points stay in the division? Perhaps we should demote paddlers who don't paddle first. Whilst not helping the current situation (as they don't paddle) it might encourage them to paddle and would surely be fairer.

I see the short season rule is to be changed back under portable points so that paddlers promoted before a certain date aren't protected. Is a date actually workable, does it need to be x races left otherwise there may not be enough events to get a reasonable chance to get enough points to stay up depending on the calendar each year, what happens if a race or races are cancelled. So perhaps when there are less than x races left in the year you are protected.

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:27 am

This thread should really be in 'Rants and Raves` EDIT: Just moved it ~Mike

Regarding portable points CP (aka Colin Woodgate, aka Slalom Committee Secretary) stated in another thread:
Canadian Paddler wrote: ....................
So the portable points system HAS been approved. It WILL come in next season. The slalom committee is tasked to publish the changes before the ACM, it does not need to take them to the ACM for approval.

So the calendar for next year is being prepared based on portable points.

The only way that Portable points will not come in is if someone puts a motion to:
- Reverse the previous motion, only possible if
- you convince the secratary that there was not an overwhelming vote for teh motion (22 for 18 against and 13 abstentions)
- new evidence has come to light
- That the calendar should be accepted in principal, but kept open for x days to allow some events to become double division events (or triple division events if you think that is importatmt) and then egreed and finalised by ( ) fill in the blank

No motions at the next ACM = 2015 motion quoted above stands and Portable points come in based on the rule changes that the committee will publish before the November ACM. And this has started on teh Canoeslalom.co.uk site. Look there and you can see desriptive text, rule changes and a feedback link
The rumours regarding portable points are just that, rumours. However, there are clearly a number of people who are less than convinced but didn't think about it before the vote at last ACM, so maybe someone will raise a motion to revert the decision at the next ACM, and this is probably where the rumours of come from. However, in the meantime everyone should plan for portable points
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:33 am

There is always some movement of paddlers between divisions and the numbers vary year on year. There are always rumours flying around as to how many in each direction.

This year, there has also been discussion on the boards and between paddlers as to whether we could add another division, change the division sizes etc, but, inevitably, I guess these become rumours of fact. That doesn't mean that none of the rumours could turn out to be true (and don't take this to mean I know something - I really don't), but I doubt anything is set in stone and all the stories should be taken with a pinch of salt until you see something officially published.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:34 am

PS I think it is unrealistic to expect the slalom committee to respond to every rumour that flies around the slalom communitee!

Arrowcraft

Post by Arrowcraft » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:29 pm

Are you on the slalom committee Dee?
If so can you let me know how to email someone on the committee?

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:49 pm

I am not Dee, but ...

All their email addresses are in the Slalom Yearbook pp 12 - 17; and their job titles on p 6

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:04 pm

CP (aka Colin Woodgate, aka Slalom Committee Secretary)
that would be me, and you can pm me, or email me - the address is in the year book, I tried to pm you my address, but it seems to be stuck in the outbox.

If neither work, post here and we will have to see if we can communicate in some other way :D
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points