2016 Calendar

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
BaldockBabe

2016 Calendar

Post by BaldockBabe » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:17 pm

The final calendar is on the front page of the website. Events in black are ones that applied by the deadline, those in red are ones that applied after the deadline.

As there are motions to drop or delay portable points could all clubs/ committees that have put in for events next year please consider before the ACM whether, if either of these motions goes through, they will be want an additional division at their event.

There will be a very short period of time after the ACM to make changes to the calendar before the yearbook is published. Where there is a clash between an event already on the calendar and a club requesting a new division the event already on the calendar will take priority.

PLEASE NOTE: This is NOT a chance for NEW events to be added to the calendar, ONLY for a new division to be added to an EXISTING event.

Terryg

Re: 2016 Calendar

Post by Terryg » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:14 pm

So no Cardington events. Is that because it was deemed not worthwhile to run an event just for one division?

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:31 pm

They didn't get an application in on time. When they finally put one in it was for a 2/3/4 even though it was clear you could only put in for a single division. When asked to chose a division and told it would need to go to the ACM there was no response. No idea what the decision was.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:58 pm

So the decision on portable points has already been made? What if it gets over turned do we have to quickly redo the calendar?

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:09 pm

I think your queries are covered by the original post?

Vkcmikey

Post by Vkcmikey » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:21 pm

I for one am shocked by the fact the our cardington events have not been added to the calendar.

When i was submitting our events, 22 days late (23 July), i didn't know that it had to be one division as i wasn't entirely sure what the new rules were. So i do what i do every year and look in the Organisers handbook and downloaded the sample one. http://www.canoeslalom.co.uk/organisers ... Sample.doc

That showed a 2/3 so i submitted a our usual 2/3/4 for cardington.

The email i received back is the following:
Hi Mikey,

These will now have to go to the ACM as the calendar has now been published.

In any event if portable points gets through you will not be able to have multiple division events (other than 3/4's) so you will need to decide which division you want the Cardington events to be...

Kind regards

Michelle
Reading that i thought ok will have to wait until the ACM for it to get decided. I didn't read that as a question and now i find out that our events haven't been included and won't be. Even though we submitted them in time albeit in the wrong format.

Now i would have expected another email to say unless you got an answer you would not be including our events rather than just not including them.

Mrs C P Paddler

Post by Mrs C P Paddler » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:27 pm

So were you seriously waiting for Michelle to chase you up about it?

Michelle cannot chase every single club that did not submit on time or let her know what they want to run. I'm sure she has far better things to do. The onus is on the clubs to submit for an event ON TIME and if they have any doubt to contact her. She is simply applying the rules.

SilverSurfer

Post by SilverSurfer » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:46 am

I think you are being a little harsh, no one is expecting or asking Michelle to chase every club. In the context of the request from Cardington, the email clearly states the decision would have to go to the ACM, so why would Cardington need to respond. But if a response was expected, given emails had already been exchanged, one would have thought a follow up email would have been sent to Cardington asking for final confirmation of which division if portable points was passed at the ACM. To simply exclude Cardington is a poor decision and unnecessary.

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:19 am

SilverSurfer wrote:To simply exclude Cardington is a poor decision and unnecessary.
Yes, I would've put it into the calendar provisionally as a div 2 until Mikey responded. To simply miss it out altogether was not a good decision.

Vkcmikey

Post by Vkcmikey » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:21 pm

Have also just noticed that our event at duckmill hasn't been included either!

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:40 pm

This is the last post I am going to put up on this subject. If anyone else has an issue with the calendar feel free to contract me directly.

The deadline for calendar submissions was clearly stated on this website and is published in the yearbook (which all organisers are provided with).

The organisers of this event are not new organisers, this event had been going on for long before I started slalom.

The process and rough timetable for applying for events has been the same for years.

The discussion regarding portable points was held at the ACM and I understand a representative from the club was at the ACM. The minutes of the ACM were published soon thereafter.

A note was put up on this website at the same time as the timings regarding being able to apply for one division only.

Other than the IP and one club who is completely new to running events no other club had an issue with either the deadline or the concept of a single division event. One club did request a date change after the deadline but not a new event.

The draft calendar has been on the website since a few days after the deadline for the P/1 events and updated since. It is not new and was put there for clubs to check, not for decoration.

I have a full time job and a second job with the timing team. I do this job to the best of my ability but do not and will not spend my time chasing clubs individually. I believe that this website and the yearbook are a reasonable way of communicating with a mass audience. (In response to a point raised by Mikey in a complaint raised about me Jim was a PAID member of staff and was therefore perhaps more able to contact clubs directly but more likely he chased Viking as a member of the club).

I (clearly wrongfully) presumed that Viking had not responded because (as indicated in a number of ACMs) they felt that financially the event could not run if it were not a 2/3/4, not because they misunderstood the email and website communications.

The application for Duck Mill was also late!

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:21 pm

Well said Michelle
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!