6.3 Remove Paddle Up

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Canadian Paddler

6.3 Remove Paddle Up

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:24 pm

6.3 Remove Paddle Up
Proposed and seconded by Proteus Canoe Club

6.3.1 Preamble
Paddle up has been trialled for several years, with the experience showing that there are problems
• for those applying to paddle up, and wishing to secure reasonable accommodation
• for those in host divisions, where events are reported as full in advance of the closing date, even where the event is only full if paddle up entries are included
• for those trying to ensure that the event is correctly judged, as the pool of paddlers available to judge events is severely reduced by those paddling up. More and more paddlers are being asked to judge and compete, which is not the best preparation for high class competition

Additionally there is a difference in the pressure on paddlers on the start line. Those paddling up have nothing to lose; those racing in division know this is one of the few times in the season when they can earn ranking points. The difference in pressure can affect the performance, resulting in technically poorer paddlers getting better results.

Removal of the paddle up rules would still allow, unranked, good paddlers to enter an open, or officials event at a division and use that result as evidence to apply to be ranked in that division

6.3.2 Motion

Remove the ability to paddle up and achieve ranking.
Remove rules B3.3 (page 67,68)
Amend Rules B4.3.2, B4.3.3, B4.3.4 (page 70). In each case changing the words:
…on gaining xxxx points from the best five events or a combination of maximum points or achieving the ‘paddle up standard’ at three events
to read
…on gaining xxxx points from the best five events or a achieving maximum points at three events
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

djberriman

Re: 6.3 Remove Paddle Up

Post by djberriman » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:13 pm

I'd like to see the paddle up points for competing on the same water removed from the rules if paddle up remains, this was not part of the spirit of the orginal motion passed by the ACM, the whole point was to allow them to access more difficult water and prove themselves on it to gain PU results. At lower level combined events the number acheiving PU results is dependent on whether the top level paddlers of the higher division are at the event. They may well be at a higher level event paddling up or at another divisional event elsewhere in the country.

paddlerparent

Post by paddlerparent » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:54 am

Positive points for paddling up:
Some paddlers would like to paddle more than one class in paddle up, they cannot do this whilst judging.

There is capacity for additional entries in divisions (despite Div1 being full most of the time), paddle up entries bring much needed income to these events

Observations re the motion:
I dont agree with the comment re pressure, this isn't a fact but purely perception, there is different types of pressure on paddlers at events. for example - Paddle ups always want to see how they compare to their peers.......

Accommodation - well, it depends how much you want to paddle, its the same for all paddle ups

Judging - paddle ups will & have judged at events i've been too

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:02 pm

It is a fact that many races have been short of judges because those who have normally participated in judges runs to get higher division competition experience, have instead - for the large part - paddled up.
I dont agree with the comment re pressure, this isn't a fact but purely perception
While of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, it is factual that a number of host division paddlers have said they find the presence of paddle ups an additional pressure on the start line. Saying emphatically that the statement "isn't factual" is not accurate, unless of course every paddler has been asked?

Those wanting to compare their performance against those of the paddlers in a higher division (They can compare themselves with their peers in their own divisional races) can do so by entering judges runs. There have been real problems at many races this past year because of the lack of available gate judges.

I'm sure paddle-ups have judged at some races, but if - as you say yourself - paddle-ups enter more than one paddle-up class at a race, they cannot judge as time would not allow. Maybe this could be solved by making it a condition of paddle-up that the parents/guardians of paddle-up competitors at a race are required to judge? Just a thought.

paddlerparent

Post by paddlerparent » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:58 pm

Sven wrote:
I'm sure paddle-ups have judged at some races, but if - as you say yourself - paddle-ups enter more than one paddle-up class at a race, they cannot judge as time would not allow. Maybe this could be solved by making it a condition of paddle-up that the parents/guardians of paddle-up competitors at a race are required to judge? Just a thought.
Agreed - organisors shuold ask parents to judge if paddle up paddlers cant

Mrs C P Paddler

Post by Mrs C P Paddler » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:34 pm

Rule D5.3 states that
"At any event if there is a shortage of judges, the organiser may require paddlers (or their nominated substitutes) to judge or undertake other official duties, in consultation with the Chief Judge.

So, we have the mechanism to get parents nominated to judge in place of their offspring already and maybe, if Paddle ups stays in, organisers will have to use this rule more.

Of course, if parents got more involved we wouldn't have to use this rule but then this is a topic we discuss far to often :roll:

SilverSurfer

Post by SilverSurfer » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:37 am

If paddle up remains I don't think this rule would ensure you had sufficient volunteers/judges. To enforce the intent of the rule you would need to state that it's conditional to judge or provide a substitute if you elect to enter the race via paddle up.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:12 am

On accomodation can I just say whilst it does not affect me it does affect some people particularly people who work shifts (and therefore have to book time off months in advance) and those on a limited income (or just careful with their money) to able to get cheap accomodation such as a travel lodge/inn by booking a long way in advance when prices are cheap.

In both situations the current 2 weeks notice (being extended to 4) is not enough to allow parents of paddlers to organise their shifts and affordable accomadation for which I have a lot of sympathy.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:26 pm

Defeated
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points