Prizes

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Dee

Prizes

Post by Dee » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:28 pm

What do paddlers prefer as prizes.

1) Trophies
2) Something that can be used - bags, scarves, mugs ......
3) Medals
4) Something else

Is it different for adults vs juniors.

I'm sure I will get many different opinions!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

BaldockBabe

Re: Prizes

Post by BaldockBabe » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:50 pm

When I was a ranked paddler 1-3 were most appreciated especially as I "won" so rarely it was nice to have a memento.

As a judge if I ever "win" then I am happy with either 1-3 or cake :-)

pcm

Post by pcm » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:11 pm

Trophies definitely.

Usable things are good as long as they are quality. Things like pens or carabiners won't realistically be used, and give off the impression to the winner that their achievements aren't worth much.
Last edited by pcm on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:59 pm

I've had this discussion a few times and generally insisted trophies are the way to go, parents have some times disagreed only to come back and say their child had much to their surprise proudly played their newly won trophy on the mantel piece. I guess they are good to take into school to show what you've won.

The problem is price, what do people spend £3-£5? There isn't a lot you can get for that. I think our event needs 40 trophies a day (plus medals for juniors), even at that budget it is £200-£250 per day.

Anyone got any good ideas on trophies/suppliers? I've had some lovely ones looking back many years ago but no way could we afford them now. In addition I've had ones which I know are probably the pride and joy of those who've provided them (such as caithness glass) but don't really mean anything or say I won a canoeing event!

Resin models seem to have got popular but they don't last well.

JimW

Post by JimW » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:35 pm

I like trophies or medals but I might just be old fashioned :)

I have quite a few kite buggy trophies, and medals from all sorts of events, but the C1 trophy from West Tanfield last year is the best of the lot! I really ought to make a proper display!