Entry Cards - Please help organisers

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
djberriman

Entry Cards - Please help organisers

Post by djberriman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:33 pm

Dear Paddlers without you there wouldn't be a sport and without volunteers there wouldn't be one either, so when filling in your entry cards please take a little while longer and help your event organisers out. It will be greatly appreciated, it will mean events won't start late and you won't have to report to control and queue up to sort things out. It may also save you some money (£13 us the record so far). We all get things wrong (including me) but at the moment only 25% of the cards I have received are totally correct. That means I'm looking at amending something like 200 cards which takes time and is frustrating, quite a few will have to report to control, I have to write lists of corrections needed and it makes it hard to reconcile the payments received.

Payment - only include payment for your race entry, if possible put the name of the paddler(s) on the back of the cheque, and show some working out if claiming any discounts.

Cards - Please fill in as detailed below (I think this will be ok for all organisers).

Front: Name, Club, Start No. (bib), Status, M/W, Class, Division
Back: Everything except Best Score (you can leave C2 partner if not C2 and 3rd Team Member if not Team). If you can't write your email address clearly in the space write it somewhere else clearly so we can get in touch if we need to.

In the entry fee box write in the amount paid for that entry (less any discount). If its a double write the same FULL amount on both cards. so if you enter a double Div2, write £17 on both cards.

Please fill them in clearly and carefully, we may not be able to read your writing so we will waste time trying to look you up online and figure it out.

If you do not know your bib, a little post-it note explaining why saves the organiser a lot of time trying to find it. Obviously if you are a Div 4 don't worry. If you are entering as a Judge then in the division box put Judge and your division.

Multi class discount of £3 can be claimed if you enter more than one class at an event, so for instance K1 and C1, if you do the same at a double you can still only claim £3 discount as a double entry is already discounted. Only one person in a C2 can use the entry to claim multi class discount, so if both paddlers enter K1 and C2 then the discount is only £3.

I know how confused I was when I first had to fill a card in and it took a while to get used to.

I hope that helps and that meets with other organisers expectations.

Enjoy!

JimW

Re: Entry Cards - Please help organisers

Post by JimW » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:20 pm

Another little thing - if you have been organised enough to scan a card and just print your own out, please use a real card as a guide to trim it accurately to size.
I know Duncan will have a stack of 200+ cards sorted in class, division and bib order to thumb through to find a card every time someone drops out or gets promoted or supplies missing info etc.
I reckon I can predict exactly which cards he will end up stopping (or jumping) at each time before he has to split the pile and start again becasue they will have been trimmed a little bigger or smaller than all the others....

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:47 pm

JimW wrote:Another little thing - if you have been organised enough to scan a card and just print your own out, please use a real card as a guide to trim it accurately to size.
I know Duncan will have a stack of 200+ cards sorted in class, division and bib order to thumb through to find a card every time someone drops out or gets promoted or supplies missing info etc.
I reckon I can predict exactly which cards he will end up stopping (or jumping) at each time before he has to split the pile and start again becasue they will have been trimmed a little bigger or smaller than all the others....
He could even choose to reject cards that are not official cards (not saying he will though). Two pieces of paper stuck back to back really do not have the same ability to survive a british summer as the official cards!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

JimW

Post by JimW » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:45 pm

The ones I received were all printed on card and mostly correct (most people miss the bib number top left on the back, which is the one that is actually used when sorting stacks...), I thought it was a good idea, apart from the trimming.
I still haven't managed to set up a template for printing on actual cards, assuming I can find a printer that will take them, it is one of my plans.....