Portable Points - New Proposals

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
JimW

Re: Portable Points - New Proposals

Post by JimW » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:50 pm

Paddling up more than 1 division Fair points - I agree it was a daft idea.

Paddle ups slower than the last paddler all get the same points Again, fair point - whatever the promotion target points gained from a failed paddle up are not going to be one of the 5 results that count. You can tell I didn't actually do any maths on that!

Paddling up at a Div 2/3 when the course will be different I don't see how this would complicate the rules considerably. It may be a nightmare for Simply Slalom when calculating results, but as far as the rules go it just needs to be treated as 2 separate races, where a competitor can either enter as a paddle up or in their own division but not both.

C1 points I still haven't formed a view, if Nick is still interested it would probably best to have a new thread for a separate motion as Les suggests?

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:58 pm

C1 points I still haven't formed a view, if Nick is still interested it would probably best to have a new thread for a separate motion as Les suggests?
I believe Catherine Brown has a proposal regarding C1 promotion targets and possibly other lower-division targets in K1. I did an analysis of the proportion of paddlers promoted in each class and division for her a couple of months back. I'm not sure where she is with it. I have mixed feelings: it may be better to let PP bed in for a year before we introduce other changes.

Ken Trollope

Post by Ken Trollope » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:16 pm

It may be a nightmare for Simply Slalom when calculating results, but as far as the rules go it just needs to be treated as 2 separate races, where a competitor can either enter as a paddle up or in their own division but not both.
It's not a problem for Simply Slalom, it can be done at the moment providing the organiser reads the Handbook, unfortunately not all do, providing the competitor is in the Div 2 class and marked as paddle up.
I don't think any paddler has bothered this year and even with portable points is a very risky strategy. Taking the Howsham Weir Div 2/3 results and converting to portable points then:- Winner Div 3 men gets 250 pts if he paddled up would get 173 pts. Last placed Div3 Man gets 20 pts if he paddled up would get 17pts.
So I cannot see any paddle ups next year but Simply Slalom is ready for them.

Ken T
If it is not on fire, it might be a software problem.

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:58 am

If the lower division has a race on the same day at the completion then competitors should not be allowed to paddle up. If they do then we run the risk of diluting the lower division. Further, what about paddlers requesting a div 3 run and a div 2 paddle up. In theory, is this allowed? My guess is that the rules are not that specific but custom and practice says not.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

paddlerparent

Post by paddlerparent » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:43 am

Dee wrote:If the lower division has a race on the same day at the completion then competitors should not be allowed to paddle up. If they do then we run the risk of diluting the lower division. Further, what about paddlers requesting a div 3 run and a div 2 paddle up. In theory, is this allowed? My guess is that the rules are not that specific but custom and practice says not.
If its on the same course then why not enter as a paddle up - under these rules you might get more points.

But under the old rules you coudl enter the lower div & as its the same course could get Paddle up if your time is better than 40 in the higher division - so win win

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:25 pm

Under the original rules you could not paddle up at a 2/3. They were changed without consultation (as far as I am aware) and allowed paddlers to paddle up on the same course or even get PU without paddling up. The original rules in the first year only allowed PU at single division races to allow paddlers to try harder water which was the original intention agreed by the ACM (again as far as I am aware). The latest proposals seek to reinstate the original intention of paddle up.

lesf

Post by lesf » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:59 pm

The proposals are clear that you can't paddle up at a combined Div 2/3 event. As Duncan says that was the original intention of paddle up, but got lost somewhere.