Calling all prem/1 organisers - online Entries 2017

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Dee

Calling all prem/1 organisers - online Entries 2017

Post by Dee » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:19 am

It is a matter of weeks before the springs on our letter boxes wear out.

This year we would like to make the online entry system available to more clubs. For those that are interested we will do the initial set up between Christmas and new year to be ready for the rush!

If you would like to try it out this year then please email me (dee@lindesay.co.uk) with:
- Subject heading: online entries - club name
- Event name and dates
- Organiser's email address,
- Name of organising club,
- Club bank account sort code and account number,
- Contact details for club treasurer[/list]

Please note that we will need confirmation of account details and possibly additional information from your club treasurer and will contact them towards the end of December

Once we have completed the initial set up, you will have access to the organiser part of the system and be able to make the final decision as to whether to go ahead with online entries.

Other divisions - we will be looking at including those who are interested, but please note that you will need to write your own cards as the system doesn't print them. If you would like to use the system them I will need the information above, but please could you wait until January to give me time to deal with Prem/1s first

Thanks

Dee
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

RobM

Re: Calling all prem/1 organisers - online Entries 2017

Post by RobM » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:11 am

Dee
Thank you for doing this.
As you know we aim to do this for the Grandtully Prem 1st & 2nd April, as in theory it should make this element hunky-dory.
Omitting cheques and cards is the way to go
Rob

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:44 am

Dee,

Don't see why this can be used at lower division events. All that needs to be done is to take the data from your system as a csv and mail merge it to print the cards (squeeze 4 per page on A4 card). Then just a matter of guillotining them. Only one side is needed for the race.

Duncan

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:30 am

Hi Duncan

The system, as it stands, can only be used by ranked paddlers to enter on line. (The organiser can load up non ranked postal entries). I am happy to trial with a few lower division competitions this year, but need to prioritise div 1/prems (purely because these paddlers like to get entries in early).

Having said that, at the moment I've only had responses to this thread from a couple of organisers, so unlikely to be turning anyone away.

We have used the system for the 3/4 (on line entries for div 3 only) and 2/3 at Sheppy and in both cases we just wrote out the cards by hand (one side only). This was quicker than having to handle all the postal entries but is not ideal and could put some organisers off, which is why I mentioned it. (Just trying to be honest as to key disadvantage rather than put anyone off).

Printing of cards is not as simple as it sounds - though a redesign of size/shape could help - and this functionality could be added later but it doesn't exist as yet. It might be that this becomes part of simply slalom or even stand alone or is added to the online system if cards can be redesigned.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi Dee,

I wsn't expecting you to do the card printing (or design anything for it). A simple csv which presumably you have for simply slalom anyway could be mail merged using excel or word and then printed on an A4 sheet (4 per sheet). As I mentioned only one side of the card is required for races and the layout doesn't have to be spot on. Cards aren't send away and are only used for the day in control and for display.

I might be able to give it a whirl at Howsham, do you have a sample of the data you produce for simply slalom from your system? Is it possible to key postal entries into your system yet via the admin interface?

Thanks
Duncan

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:34 pm

Yes postal entries can be entered by organisers

Basic stuff for download is written but format of extract for simply slalom is yet to be agreed

I can send you a sample file for you to play with if you like

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:35 pm

Can you ping me an email and I'll send a file back

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:45 pm

Duncan
before you spend too long on getting cards to print, you shoudl be aware that cards are being redisgned for this year, so that tehy will eb supplied on A4, perforated, three per sheet. This should make the job of printing much easier!

We get through a lot of cards and it seems we have only got a couple of boxes of the current cards left, so once these are gone, everyone will have cards already on A4.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:19 pm

Excellent - can you send me a pdf example of the new cards as soon as you have it then I can work on a template to mail merge with Dees data (which will be available for all).

Duncan

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:49 am

We now have 3 prems and one div 1 (Shepperton) up and running :D
plus a few more competitions in the pipe line

If any other organisers would like to jump on board then please contact me, as above.

Your use of the system does not have to be in the year book, but I would recommend that you request that Nick adds the info to his list so that paddlers know to go there.

Now the ball is rolling I'm happy to start setting up div 2/3s as well, but bear in mind the need to write your own cards

Mike Mitchell

Post by Mike Mitchell » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:21 pm

Sorry for being a bit slow hear.
But I have just spent 5mins looking for a link for the Shepperton Div1 Slalom entry.
So if you have 4 or so entries Dee it must be up and running. My Wife entered from a link sent from Alison, which I could also do but thats defeating the object.

Perhaps its to early and the link has not been posted on the Slalom site yet, or it could be just me.

Anyway it is going to need to be clear as to how to enter online or a lot of us are going to miss out.

What we are looking for is a fair and easy solution for everyone to enter.
I do think its the best way forward.

Mitch

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:33 pm

I think you have missed the point as it is four slaloms not four entries!

Having said that
The link will go onto canoeslalom.co.uk when Nick gets the yearbook info from Ken who, in turn, has to get it from the organisers.

We have deliberately been going fairly softly softly on actual entry advertising in order not to disadvantage those wishing to enter by post. But at the same time I'm keen to get a few more organisers on board and hence this thread

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:05 pm

PS I should also add that, in spite of my address not being published, I have also received entries through the post; this is part of my reasoning for setting up the competitions online. It really is impossible to be 100% fair within the current process, but for those that wish to enter online - http://www.canoeslalomentries.co.uk

I do wonder whether we should introduce an open date for all competitions and agree that any entries received before the open date will be binned and open online entries on the same day as postal entries. This would mean that we could publish details in advance of the opening date, giving everyone a chance to see them rather than the current lottery of just happening to check the website on the right day.

On a more positive note. Shepperton is running the div 1 and div 2 as two separate competitions this year on consecutive weekends (as opposed to a combined div 1/2); div 2 online entries will start soonish. So there will hopefully be more racing opportunities for all that wish to enter.

Mike Mitchell

Post by Mike Mitchell » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:49 pm

Thanks Dee that was easy.
Once it is on the Slalom web site and every gets used to it, postal entries will be a thing of the past.
You will probably need to set a start by date in 2018.

Just need a system to collect bibs at the first events now.

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Glad you found it straight forward once you had the link. :D

System already allows us to set open for entry, closed for entry, charge late fees dates etc. We can also cope with enhanced fees, strange competitions like selection that don't have officials races or vets, pre-registration of paddle-ups and a host of other things.

Functionality being improved, extended (and bug-fixed :oops:) daily.