K1W 2 & 3 bibs vs Royal Mail

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
JoS

K1W 2 & 3 bibs vs Royal Mail

Post by JoS » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:58 pm

I just got my K1W D3 bib back in an "insufficient postage" envelope from Royal Mail, with a large letter stamp on it, having folded it perfectly like the diagram and put it through a large letter measuring slot with room to spare each side before I posted it back in October. This only happens when I post bibs to Tanya, large letters I've sent to any other destination in the UK have not bounced. It's like there's one postman who's decided she's not allowed to get bibs.

Has anybody else had this happen? If there is, perhaps we could get together and complain to Royal Mail as a group?

djberriman

Re: K1W 2 & 3 bibs vs Royal Mail

Post by djberriman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:26 pm

I assume that means they have not been collected by the bib officer after paying the excess (and why should they) so it may be that other people do go collect and pay the excess. After 7 days (I think) any item will be returned to sender.

I always take mine to the post office and get them to weigh and post it, that way there is no argument.

JimW

Post by JimW » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:15 pm

djberriman wrote:I always take mine to the post office and get them to weigh and post it, that way there is no argument.
I do the same, but I'm not convinced there can be no argument - if the envelope gets shaken up enough and the bib slides to one end it could easily end up too thick to be classed as a large letter whilst in transit through the postal system. Also the PO don't stamp it as checked (and are a separate business to Royal Mail anyway) so there is still a possibility for someone further down the chain to disagree and reject it.

I have had no problems posting C1M bibs to Carole, I don't know about K1M bibs to Les because I have always met him at Symonds Yat and given it back in person.

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:26 pm

If you write on the card asking to send stamps unknown return to sender you will get it back with no charge - I did this with a card and it worked. :D
Jim

pinkboat

Post by pinkboat » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:58 pm

I have had a few C1 men bibs held back by the post office due to insufficient postage, I really struggle to go and fetch them due to work and other commitments so they may get sent back or to be destroyed after 18 days. I do my best but cannot always guarantee to get there on Sat morning either as I am away a lot. Also a problem if you send "signed for" as I am not often in when the postman calls, so again they could be lost. Also when sending two bibs together you will need postage for a small parcel - almost lost 2 prem bibs this year because of this - I had to pay the excess and managed to get them just in time, this year. Following the guidelines on the front page will help :D Carole

JimW

Post by JimW » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:33 pm

Just a thought, the advice on sending and applying for bibs says to use an A4 envelope and then includes an extra nugget not to use an oversized A4 envelope.
There is no such thing as an A4 envelope, A4 is a paper size, the size of envelope that accepts A4 paper without folding is C4.
C4 envelopes are well within the length and breadth limits for large letter.

Perhaps it would be easier for people to choose the right sized envelope if the instructions actually stated to use a C4 envelope and took the guess work out of it?

The bib still needs the careful folding to ensure it doesn't end up too thick, the person who wrote the instructions almost certainly had a C4 envelope in front of them when workign out the method :)

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:15 pm

I just got my K1W D3 bib back in an "insufficient postage" envelope from Royal Mail, with a large letter stamp on it
Please note: an ordinary large letter stamp is not enough because the weight of the bib puts it on the second weight category. If you put less than £1.20 on it, it is underpaid - even if sometimes you've got away with it.

kenlaw50n

Post by kenlaw50n » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:06 pm

I've now sent through 2 bib applications to Tanya for my daughters bib and had nothing back this doesn't seems to be an isolated issue.

Is anyone in contact with Tanya to clarify what the issue may be. Postage on both was more than sufficient to cover.

JoS

Post by JoS » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:11 am

Nick - aha. I think the weight may have been the thing, thank you! I measured it in all directions so it was definitely within the size limits, plus I put the returned article through the large letter slot I keep on the bookshelf. I think the weight banding was introduced since last time I looked at the rules. Hopefully this means she's now got it on second try...

Carole - oh yes, I absolutely am not annoyed at her for not going to fetch it, I was irritated that it ended up there waiting to be fetched in the first place! But now know why.