Online enteries

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
djberriman

Re: Online enteries

Post by djberriman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:31 am

Would appear that about 14% of entries are MC.

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks

There is an rtc notes column alongside the rtc box on all the manage entries pages - it's not specific to amount owed, but you can enter the amount owed in the box which should save having to keep a separate list.

(Though you do have to add amount owed and set the flag separately).

The rtc tab then provides a list of those with rtc codes set and the comments. I will be adding a download button to this tab in due course which will mean that you can easily extract the list to a spreadsheet prior to the event.

Am I completely off track here?
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:19 am

PS
I have added one on one of your entries so that you can see what I mean. You will also see that that paddler now has a ££ symbol by his name on the home page

The "!!" on the right hand side of the manage entries tells you that the paddler is entered in more than one race on the same day
If you 'hover' with your mouse over the !! then you can see which other races they have entered

Part of the reason for not automating the rtc codes (apart from complications) was that some organisers feel that they would rather have a generic code rather than empasise that the rtc is for money matters - I would expect them to use the "other" code for everything and rely on the notes to tell them what it is.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:29 am

djberriman wrote:Would appear that about 14% of entries are MC.
Is that a total figure. What it doesn't tell us, I suspect, is how many of these are on-the-day entries, when people are encouraged to entered C1/C2 by the organiser and or friends.

I remember CP drumming up people to have a go in C1/C2 as a second class at the Orton Mere 3/4. This resulted in Forbes (knee-high to a grasshopper age) taking around 1/2 hr to go round the course sideways as he'd not tried C1 before and couldnt work out how to make it go forwards. It was so funny to watch, we couldn't help but laugh, but had to give him respect for the sheer determination.

JimW

Post by JimW » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:02 pm

I'm in div 2 in K1 and C1 and not expecting to move up or down any time soon so claim MCD on almost every entry. The exceptions are when I enter an officials race because I only do one class (and don't pay), and if I am going to paddle up in div 1 I will need to remember it doesn't apply there!

I had a fair proportion of MCD entries at Pinkston 2/3 last year, many of them calculated wrong, but I expect that, I'm sure I calculated it wrong on at least 1 of my own entries last year. The most spectacular mis-calculation came from another race organiser, no one is immune! :)
I know some of the paddlers doing 2 classes last year have been promoted to div 1 in one class, but just looking at Duncan's Washburn entries so far he has 3 MCDs already entered - thats 3 out of 11 paddlers (6 out of 14 entries) so far needing MCD, and now that I have confirmed my polo tournament is on the Saturday, I'm about check out for Sunday only, and will need MCD :)
I am aware of a div 2 C2 crew that will be racing this year who are both div 2 in K1 and C1, no doubt that will have some organisers reaching for the yearbook! (I'm hoping to see one or more promotions for them before the end of the season)

I realise how much of a headache it is to set up (2 examples of complications above!) - but I think it would be useful if it could be done.

JimW

Post by JimW » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:11 pm

Excellent, Tully div 2 has appeared on the list today so I've entered that too!

Minor improvement request - on the 'my entries' screen, obviously the events are in order, is it possible to have the date displayed as well as the day, makes it a one stop shop for updating diaries then (yes, I need a better system for tracking my own entries!)

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:12 pm

Ironically, it's not so much the charging calculation that is complex (well it is which is why so many get it wrong, but it is doable) but the refunds. Particularly when someone could enter C1, C2 and K1 at different times (possibly even multiple C2s) and then cancel out of some.

So
Enters k1 - charged £17
Enters C1 - charged £14
Cancels K1 - refunded £14 against the £17 paid
Cancels C1 - at this point we need to refund £17, but we can only refund £14 against the payment of £14, which means that somehow we also need to refund the remaining £3 against the K1 that was cancelled previously.
Add into this mix C2s, single day entries becoming doubles and doubles becoming singles and I have a blinding headache.

I will try and resolve it, but I just don't think it will be this year.

JimW

Post by JimW » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:26 pm

Is it permitted to refund £17 and make a further £3 charge at the same time without further authorisation from the card holder? Then a subsequent cancellation would be 2 transactions, £14 and £3.

Tracking C2 permutations is something else!

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:14 pm

JimW wrote:Is it permitted to refund £17 and make a further £3 charge at the same time without further authorisation from the card holder? Then a subsequent cancellation would be 2 transactions, £14 and £3.

Possibly. As you can see though it is really not straightforward and would be very easy to get a nasty bug

Dee

JimW wrote:Is it permitted to refund £17 and make a further £3 charge at the same time without further authorisation from the card holder? Then a subsequent cancellation would be 2 transactions, £14 and £3.

Possibly. As you can see though it is really not straightforward and would be very easy to get a nasty bug

Dee

JimW wrote:Excellent, Tully div 2 has appeared on the list today so I've entered that too!

Minor improvement request - on the 'my entries' screen, obviously the events are in order, is it possible to have the date displayed as well as the day, makes it a one stop shop for updating diaries then (yes, I need a better system for tracking my own entries!)

Oooo! I like easy request. Done! 8)

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Dee,

For each step in the example sequence given, you can calculate the total cost of that paddlers entries compared to what they have currently paid.
Then either charge or refund the difference.

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Which is approximately what we are doing. And works when calculating additional entry costs (eg enter Sat and then enter Sun)

But when paddler has made separate payments then we need to split the refunds across the payments appropriately which is less straight forward.

It is complicated. Lets face it if this system was easy to produce then someone would have done so eons ago, but no-one did.

I will look at multi-class discounts and a few other things in August, ready for next year, but for this year I am stating that it is out of scope.

I am currently working full-time on the system and providing support and have to draw the line somewhere

Mike Mitchell

Post by Mike Mitchell » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:46 pm

Dee wrote:

Just make a charge of £3.00 for administrating a cancelled entry.

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:47 pm

Mike Mitchell wrote:
Dee wrote:

Just make a charge of £3.00 for administrating a cancelled entry.
:lol: :lol: :lol: