Online enteries

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
paddlerparent

Online enteries

Post by paddlerparent » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:02 am

I was keen to see how well it worked so I've used the online entry system for a couple of races already - i think its great & i don't mind paying the small charge (which if you enter more than one class is not much more than paying for a stamp) it saves loads of time with writing out cheques, completing cards & i think the best tings is that you can see your entry is accepted so no waiting for a start list to check the post worked (or not which has happened to me a couple times)

I hope its smooth for organizers too :)

well done everyone involved with setting it up

Dee

Re: Online enteries

Post by Dee » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:39 am

Thank you
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

harratts

Post by harratts » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:38 am

Hi Dee.

I have just started out down the on-line entry registration process as I wanted to see how the system worked using entries for the Tully Prem. events.

However I need to send in Official's entries as well as competitors entries.

Is this possible at this time?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:14 am

Yes

You just go through the same process of selecting the boat and then click to enter the officials race. Only difference is no need to pay so entry goes straight to the accepted state.

Note: there is not an officials race at Selection so the option won't come up.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:24 pm

For those that are using canoeslalomentries.co.uk to place entries....
You can now see all the entries that you have placed this year at https://www.canoeslalomentries.co.uk/ye ... my-entries

Warning: it will only show your online entries and you need to be logged in

paddlerparent

Post by paddlerparent » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:26 pm

Love it Dee - it would be great to have a button on the home screen that take you straight there similar to the 'Previous' & 'Next Year' buttons :)

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:04 pm

If you are logged in then it is a menu option "My Entries" top right of the page.

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:41 am

HI Dee,

Just a quick question - is there any way of doing the online application for officials slots if you don't have a bib?

Thanks

M

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:17 am

Sadly no, you must be a ranked paddler to enter via the online system.

Maybe we will review this sometime in the future, but it won't change for this year

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:37 am

No probs :-)

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:44 am

But of course if you are thinking of entering Shepperton as a judge, I will be happy to add you.

Remember to bring your WCA card :wink:

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:53 pm

We have just changed the way we are collecting payments for competitions.

Going forwards, you will still need to enter your card details to have your entry accepted, but we will not charge your card until shortly before the competition.

Your card expiry date will need to be after the charge date, but remember that you can use credit or debit cards.

harratts

Post by harratts » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:55 pm

I have now made use of the on-line entry system for some of the races it was made available for right from the word go and must say that I have found it to be a very good, pain free system to navigate through. I especially like the fact that you can immediately see that your entry has been received. Fantastic improvement and thanks to all involved.

There were also other races that I wanted to make entries at where it was not possible to make an on-line application for so as race organiser details were published on the canoe slalom website, cards (together with payment by cheque) were sent off. Several of these races have now been added to the list of events where an on-line entry is possible.

The issue that I would like to raise is what type of entry for these events would get priority should the event reach it's capacity level. Are organisers able to make a manual entry to the on-line displayed details once entry cards (with payment) are received and are they going to be prepared to do so given all of the other things that they need to do to run an event? Does the on-line entry system have the pre determined maximum event capacity figure built in and will it therefore continue to accept entries until this limit is reached despite other entries having been made via the previous card system?

Given the choice I would now utilise the on-line entry system every time.
Steve

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:16 pm

The online system does take other entries into consideration. I do however realise that the system is new to all the organisers (except me) and, whilst most of the organiser pages have associated help text, there is a learning curve:

The organisers
1) Can set their own entry limits (excluding or including officials)
2) Can add your postal entries to the list of those received - and at least some are starting to do this - they will then appear on the competition home page, but not on your "my entries" page.
3) Can "reserve" a specific number of entries - so if they know that they have received 20 postal entries, but haven't time to load them, they can reserve 20 entry slots, the system then takes these into account when calculating whether an event is full. (I did this last year, when I'd had 50 postal entries on the first day, before we'd even got the system running). They can clear the slots when they've caught up.

In addition, for prem/1s I am expecting most organisers to use the system to generate a start list (once I've finished the code!). If they do this then it makes sense to load up the postal entries - they need to be loaded somewhere and onto the system is as easy way of recording them as any.

As an organiser, I much prefer online entries, but will continue to give equal priority to postal entries as long as they are correct and paid for.

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:26 pm

PS
To my knowledge there are no more Prems intending to take advantage of the system this year - I think Paul McConkey was the last one to go up.
The only outstanding div 1 is the Llandysul div 1 event in the autumn (the spring competition is up)

However, there are still some more div 2s and 2/3s that I know are considering it.

I'm happy to add at any time, but obviously the advantage to the organiser wanes once they've already received a lot of postal entries.
Last edited by Dee on Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.