GET A LIFE

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
James Hastings

GET A LIFE

Post by James Hastings » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:17 pm

I get the impression from a fairly terse message from Nick on the web site that some paddlers have already been applying - often without the correct documentation - for their 2017 bibs. The first race of the season isn't for the best part of two months yet - GET A LIFE!

Dee

Re: GET A LIFE

Post by Dee » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:02 pm

This is much, much better than those that leave it until the last minute and then turn up at the first race with the lame excuse of "the bib officer hasn't sent me my bib yet and I applied ages (translation: 2 days) ago"
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

WindsorCC

Post by WindsorCC » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:36 am

As someone who's already received both of their bibs, and does have a life, my view is that it's more helpful to apply early and then the bib officers can deal with it at their leisure any time over the next couple of months, than leave it until near the start of the season where those who aren't organised will be rushing to get them in time.

I took Nick's message as a reminder that everyone needs to be making sure they include the correct documentation, postage etc, as dealing with mistakes really does waste the bib officer's time.

paddlerparent

Post by paddlerparent » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:37 am

James Hastings wrote:I get the impression from a fairly terse message from Nick on the web site that some paddlers have already been applying - often without the correct documentation - for their 2017 bibs. The first race of the season isn't for the best part of two months yet - GET A LIFE!
One of the most unhelpful messages i've ever read on this site......... :roll:

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:33 pm

I think Nick's message was probably one of exasperation that people can't simply fill in a form and send all the required documents, whilst it may seem a small issue that you put your nick name on, the incorrect bib no or 'forget' to include a copy of your bcu card, sae etc, multiply that 'small' issue a few hundred times and it makes for a very unhappy VOLUNTEER.

If you need help ask your coach or a higher ranked paddler.

James Hastings

Post by James Hastings » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:15 pm

Thanks, I like to be provocative.

Personally I'm usually too busy in the winter river running to even start thinking about the slalom again until March, apart from some agent provocateur activities on this forum. But, then again, I try to pay the relevant bib officer the curtesy of sending him/her the correct details.

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:12 pm

I (and I think the other bib officers too) would much rather get bib applications in a steady dribble from the beginning of January onwards than be faced with a great heap of them - some, inevitably, with this or that wrong - a fortnight before the first race. Even if I do splutter over some of what I get! So thank you, earlybirds, even if some of you do get things wrong.

JimW

Post by JimW » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:48 pm

Fingers crossed I put the right forms in the right envelopes - I checked about 3 times but I'm still paranoid about it!

JoS

Post by JoS » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:07 am

I think this post may just have volunteered you for toilet cleaning duty at Washburn...

Mike Mitchell

Post by Mike Mitchell » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:13 pm

JoS wrote:I think this post may just have volunteered you for toilet cleaning duty at Washburn...

I will second that :lol:

Anyway pleased I have 2 out of 5 bibs back to my household and entries in for nearly all Div1/2 and some Prem this year for the Mitchell family.

Got my life sorted.

JoS

Post by JoS » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:00 pm

Report To Control and we'll show you where the mop and bucket live.

JimW

Post by JimW » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:45 am

I have bibs, and a couple of entries in. Struggling to plan my year though.

Hang on, I may have more officials entries than ranking entries so far.... :)

James Hastings

Post by James Hastings » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Mike Mitchell wrote:
JoS wrote:I think this post may just have volunteered you for toilet cleaning duty at Washburn...

I will second that :lol:

Anyway pleased I have 2 out of 5 bibs back to my household and entries in for nearly all Div1/2 and some Prem this year for the Mitchell family.

Got my life sorted.
I rest my case!