6.13 Entry Refundable 75/25

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:44 pm

Although the rules state that entry fees are not refundable, many organisers do refund entry fees if given sufficient notice. The rules should reflect the accepted practice. Page 70
UK C11.6.2 ENTRY FEES ARE NOT RETURNABLE - except:
- where a Competitor is promoted to a higher division and is thus ineligible to compete in an event already entered. The entry fees will be refunded providing the Organiser is notified AT LEAST FIVE DAYS before the competition.
- if a competition is cancelled due to circumstances beyond the control of Organiser, up to the time that the course is declared open for free practice, (official practice for Premier/Division 1).
- If the entry can be replaced.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Dee

Re: 6.13 Entry Refundable 75/25

Post by Dee » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Canadian Paddler wrote: - If the entry can be replaced.
Is it just me that has a problem with this one. The principle is fine, but surely it needs some form of qualification. Who decides if an entry can be replaced - just because there is a waiting list it doesn't mean that the organiser can contact anyone in time.

At Sheppy we almost always get a few paddlers on Friday night, Saturday morning and Sunday morning who decide the water/course is too hard/scary and ask for a refund. So, do I now have to agree to their request and frantically try to find a last minute replacement? The rule effectively says yes as with a long waiting list the entry almost certainly can be replaced; it's just totally unreasonable to expect the organiser to do so!

If this was not on the 75/25 rule I would propose an amendment ..... "If the entry can be replaced and the cancellation request is received 15days before the start of the competition"
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:41 pm

I suggest organiser's discretion, whether the entry can be replaced or not.

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:50 pm

Nick, it doesn't say that though, and I think it is opening organisers up to unreasonable demands.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

stevepearson

Post by stevepearson » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:35 am

If its going to get merit then it feels like Point 1 & point 3 should be together - something like, if its before 5 days & the entry can be replaced.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:52 pm

An Amendment was proposed by Halifax and seconded by Viking Kayak so that the motion reads:
UK C11.6.2. ENTRY FEES
Organisers are under no obligation to refund entry fees except:
- where a Competitor is promoted to a higher division and is thus ineligible to compete in an event already entered, the entry fees will be refunded providing the Organiser is notified before the competition.
- under Rule D6.
The Amendment and the amended motion were adopted nem con.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points