Online Enrty Transaction Fees

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
FlipFlopFly

Online Enrty Transaction Fees

Post by FlipFlopFly » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:53 am

Having just used the online entry system to enter a number of races, I was surprised that, even though I was checking out all of the entries at the same time, there were multiple transaction fees.

Why is more than one transaction fee charged for what appears to be one transaction?

And also, why does the transaction fee increase for enhanced entries, surely, whatever it is that the transaction fee is paying for, does not get more expensive just because more money has been paid?

harratts

Re: Online Enrty Transaction Fees

Post by harratts » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:52 am

I thought the same thing this morning when I made multiple paddler entries for the same race.

Last year I seem to recall that you were only charged a single transaction charge for the overall on-line booking not a proportion of the total charge being taken.

However if you then went back in to enter an additional paddler into a different class at the same event then you were charged an additional transaction fee which would seem to be appropriate.

I just assumed that it was old age playing tricks on me again.
Steve

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:32 am

There will be a transaction fee for each competition that you enter, so if you enter K1 and C1 at the same time into one competition then you will only pay one transaction fee

If you enter two competitions then you will see a separate transaction fee for each competition - this was actually the case last year Steve, but last year competitions came online in dribbles so you possibly never entered more than one competition at the same time. (either that or it is just old age again :wink: )

Key reasons for the separate charges:
- your card is not actually charged until 22days before the relevant competition, so will go through the payment provider as a transaction for the competition.
- the payments go to different accounts and the way this is handled by the payment provider basically means we have to treat them as separate transactions.

Regarding enhanced fees - I do see your point, but the major part of the transaction fees goes straight to the payment provider (Stripe) and these are based on a percentage plus a fixed amount; so all we are doing is passing the extra cost on. So at our end the costs do go up when more money is paid. (In turn credit card companies probably charge Stripe on a percentage basis).

Money is always a very sensitive subject !!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:45 am

PS . Off topic - but there have been 707 entries so far today (at 11:44) of which 101 took place between midnight and 1am.

Eeek :shock: :shock:
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

FlipFlopFly

Post by FlipFlopFly » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:52 am

Thanks for the clarity Dee, that makes sense.

On a separate point, I understand that from the 13th January 2018, all transaction fees for debit and credit cards will be banned by the UK government, so how will this affect charges already made through the online system, but that will not be taken until after this date?

JimW

Post by JimW » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:24 pm

That's another 22 entries made - only a couple of transaction fees so far though, most of mine are to waiting list or officials at the moment :)

I'm like a kid in a sweet shop!

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:49 pm

FlipFlopFly wrote:Thanks for the clarity Dee, that makes sense.

On a separate point, I understand that from the 13th January 2018, all transaction fees for debit and credit cards will be banned by the UK government, so how will this affect charges already made through the online system, but that will not be taken until after this date?
Fair question, the transaction fee is a service charge for using the system to enter rather than explicitly for using a debit/credit card.

So, nothing will change (though I supposeI could start calling it a service charge).

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:52 pm

JimW wrote:That's another 22 entries made - only a couple of transaction fees so far though, most of mine are to waiting list or officials at the moment :)

I'm like a kid in a sweet shop!
Have you discovered my new Multi-Competition entries button (only went in yesterday)?

I hope you are going to turn up for all those judging duties!

JimW

Post by JimW » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:17 pm

I don't think I spotted the button, I saw some text about it and then seemed to enter separately for each class - I will pay more attention next time!

All the events I have entered as official are ones I did official duties (mostly safety) at last year. Only question mark is over the Sunday for Tully prem, I might need to shoot off to a party in Newcastle on the Saturday evening, but that is yet to be determined. I will need to make it right with Rob if I am not going to make it back, perhaps he would take a kindly view if I could get a photo of his daughter published on the slalom website?

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:18 pm

:D

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:11 pm

if I could get a photo of his daughter published on the slalom website?
Noted. If you're using my services for bribery purposes, it'll cost you.

JimW

Post by JimW » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 pm

I thought it was bartering rather than bribery, but now I see there may be no end to it if I start it...

RobM

Post by RobM » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:53 am

Well Jim, what can I say! Your offer of help greatly appreciated and Saturday is going to be v busy! Can I come to your party instead of being here for the Pan Celtic?

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:23 pm

For those that like data

Yesterday we had just over 1100 entries made by a total of 134 distinct users for 220 boats
Current totals are running at 1168 entries from 144 users for 232 boats

Notes:
  • if a paddler enters both days of a double then this counts as two entries. Hosts, Paddle ups and Officials are all included in the tally.
  • only users who have made at least one entry on the day are counted but a user does NOT directly equate to a paddler (eg parent entering two offspring)
  • a boat corresponds to a bib(so if the same paddler entered K1M and C1M this would count as 2 boats)

So:
Rate of entries has slowed down since yesterday - there is no need to panic!
So far each boat has entered an average of 5 races (or 2 double competitions and one single)

JimW

Post by JimW » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:08 pm

RobM wrote:Well Jim, what can I say! Your offer of help greatly appreciated and Saturday is going to be v busy! Can I come to your party instead of being here for the Pan Celtic?
I should be able to find a seat for you.... :)
Just comtemplating how crazy it would be to drive down, stay sober and then drive back up for Sunday...