6.7 Organiser Discretion on Accepting Paddle Ups

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
JimW

Re: 6.7 Organiser Discretion on Accepting Paddle Ups

Post by JimW » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:21 pm

Nick Penfold wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:36 pm
I can't even begin to imagine why host division paddlers would leave it that late
Some paddlers who work can't know far in advance which weekends they will be free, and risking an entry fee on a race you might not be able to get to is expensive.
This is a good point, it is easy to forget that people have different working patterns.

lesf

Post by lesf » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:23 pm

No! There are no rules that I know of saying who can enter as an official, but if you refuse paddle ups on safety grounds then I don’t think you could accept them to do an officials run
But there is no rule to allow you to reject an officials entry.

What this rule I should proposing is the ability to opt out of having paddle up entries on mass on the grounds of safety, not to reject individual entries. That means some paddle ups won't get an opportunity when they are perfectly capable of handling the water / course (e.g. They are top of the division's rankings and could be in the host division after their next race) because of a fear that some paddle ups may not be able to handle the water/course.
On the basis of this rule we should also have a rule that only allows officials from higher divisions as we are concerned for the safety of some paddlers from lower divisions paddling on the course (as judges or paddle ups)

It's up to paddlers with their coaches and or parents to decide if they are capable of paddling a particular course/water - in their own division or as a paddle up or official.

paddlerparent

Post by paddlerparent » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:43 pm

The motivation behind this change should be understood. Clearly if its safety then it's not an argument, perhaps the club putting in the proposal can clarify please?

JimW

Post by JimW » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:50 pm

lesf wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:23 pm
It's up to paddlers with their coaches and or parents to decide if they are capable of paddling a particular course/water - in their own division or as a paddle up or official.
This is pretty much what my risk assessments say.
The venue and course will be suitable for the host division so all ranked paddlers should have an idea what to expect.
It is unfeasible for organisers to make judgements about all the people who might enter their race.

I'm interested to see what the reponse to paddlerparent's question is, I don't see a proposing club listed so I assume it was a committee proposal?

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:34 pm

I judged a div 1 race at the Serpents Tail during my first season when I was still in division 4. I don't think I made it down the course once. I since have swam most courses in the country. I think that the risks involved in our sport are somewhat overstated.